Skip to main content

Queen For Seven Days (2017) - KDrama Review


I cried so much watching this drama that I swear my heart will never heal again. LOL

To start with, it's Joseon era so, things are different from what they are now. And you have to watch it with this mindset. First of all, let's give a shout-out to the actors. 

Park Min Young - I'm not her biggest fan but for some reason, she always deliver the best chemistry with her co-stars. So, I have to give her the salute. I don't know how she does it. Does she do some MBTI test on her co-stars before she says 'yes' to a show? From the start to the end, she is on point through happy and sad times. 

Yeon Woo Jin - I've only watched one show with him in it and it's Introverted Boss. He was VERY VERY VERY VERY different there. So, his performance here knocked my socks off. Oh, I had a quick glimpse of his acting in Thirty-Nine (one of the latest Netflix series with none other than Son Ye Jin) and it's also very, very, very, VERY different from his performance here. His acting as a soft-hearted, in-love prince, smitten man who wants nothing more than to be with the love of his life, and then forceful and aggressive King...blew me away. 

Lee Dong Gun - It's been a long time since i've watch Lee Dong Gun act but I knew he had the chops. I was looking forward to him playing the tyrant King a lot because I think he has the emotional range. Somehow, towards the middle when he starts becoming more and more unreasonable, the smirk on his face becomes overused. For his story arch, I blame it on the writer. Why the sudden love triangle? Why does he yo-yo around between treating Chae-Kyung like shit and then kissing her at midnight in the middle of a bridge? WTF....LOL

OMG, the soundtrack...flawless. I don't know who the singers are but the lyrics and melody really played a role in ripping your heart into bits and pieces along with those effing crying scenes. 

I usually get really impatient with the flashback scenes, preferring to jump straight into the main storyline but the first 4 or so episodes were completely flashbacks, giving all the characters their backstories. Good idea. It pays that the backstory was well written and the actors were adorable. 

The casting was perfect. They were so sweet that I had tot pause for a while to swoon, one time too many. My sons would roll their eyes and groan "Soooooo cheeeesssyyyyyyy....". Hahaha but that's what I like about it...because I know what's ahead of me. They need to inject as much sweetness and totally fairy tale romance and devotion for this story to work. 

There was also a whole lot of love and devotion on the family side of things as well. I know that back in the days, princes, kings, and ministers fight and kill each other often for power. Even then, they painted a good reason for the evilness that is to come soon. 

Here's a quote of what I wrote on my note while watching. 

They are so sweet I wanna die! Lololol 😂❤️ Why am I jumping on this ship when I know it's gonna sink? 😭

As mentioned, Lee Dong Gun was OTT with his acting. There were times when I thought that he should have a point of redemption but...you won't believe how despicable his character was...he was beyond help. 

There were also some light-hearted moments, as few as they were. Like the nanny who made blumbering comments at inappropriate moments. Her loyalty to the little girl she raised lasted for the rest of her life. Sob Sob. 

It also tells the story of brotherhood, commitment to a cause bigger than oneself, If you're watching, beware of Episode 13. There's ugly cry coming your way. 

The more I watch, the more in love I became with Yeon Woo Jin. He's perfect for this role. Like I said, I wasn't really convinced he could pull off this role because he's relatively soft-spoken. But when he's aggressive, determined, or angry...boy. 

So, the rest of my notes while watching was just me hearting Yeon Woo Jin and crying at the injustice of it all. 

But based on historical facts, we all knew there was no happy ending. The writer did gave up a pair of rose-tinted glasses to soften the blow. I am thankful for that. We know it didn't end well but at least, there was a little bit of hope and it made their love and devotion to each other a little that much more bearable. 

8.9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe