Skip to main content

The Boys, Music, and the Violin

Like every other parent, especially Asians (I am not a bigot because I am, after all, also Asian, so let me just be slightly jaded here), I signed my boys up for piano classes for years and years and years. I ferried them in and out of classes, pressured them to practice, paid the price for the expensive classes, and nothing came out of it. 

Maybe it's me, maybe it's them, who knows? 

I bought a piano (which I also loved and signed up for classes for) and I diligently tried to help them see the beauty of music. To no avail. 

Later, Son 2 told me he had an interest in playing the guitar. Like a lightning bolt, we trudged through one music store to another, seeking out the right guitar. Bear in mind, I may know a thing or two about the piano, I know absolutely zilch about the guitar. 

I had to take the word of the salesmen for what they were. So, we ended up with two guitars in the house...and no one playing them, gathering dust and absolutely unloved. 

I signed Son 2 for guitar classes but, again, he picked up zero number of things throughout almost a year of attending the classes. 

By that time, I've given up hope. I came to a concrete conclusion.

The decision was to not commit to a single thing until they can show me persistent interest. I conveyed my disappointment and their fleeting interest in the instruments they said they wanted to learn up (well, they did NOT specifically say they wanted to play the piano. That was is on me) multiple times, playing the guilt game to the tee. 

All of a sudden, without prompt, they said they liked the sound of the violin or cello, chiming in that it would be a cool instrument to play. I was befuddled.

One day, out of the blue, Son 1 said he liked the sound of strings and pointed out that it would be 'interesting' to pick up the violin. 

Nope. You're not doing this to me again, I said to him and Son 2 who seemed to agree that the violin was cool. I thought, "Yeah, cool for how long?"

I must have taken them on quite a guilt trip because they never mentioned signing up for a class again. But sometimes, I would hear them listening to songs featuring the violin. At times, we walk past music stores and they would glance at the violin. I am highly perceptive that way and read the room pretty OK. 

After about two years or so of this, on their birthdays, I gave it a shot. I said I would buy them a violin if it was affordable and sign them up for classes if they were still interested

They said they were almost instantly and there you have it...violin in the house. 

When I tell family members that my boys take violin classes, they would be left gaping. Violin? Boys? Why? What happened to piano? Guitar?

Precisely. But why not?

So far, without fail and without pressure, they've been practicing their violin every single day, diligently following the rules set by their instructor. If I touched the violin, they would hover over me like a hawk and asking me not to do such-and-such to the violin because it is a very delicate instrument

So, I guess it all kind of worked out. Now, I have two boys who are clearly determined to master the violin against all odds. Life and parenting can be funny that way.

My advice to all parents out there is this: if you're going to sign your kids up for music lessons, make sure they are interested in it. The moment they lose interest in it, let them go. There's no point in pushing the issue because music and the instrument that you play deserve to be loved the same way we love the music it produces. 

I understand this because I have a musical background. If one pushed me to sing or play the piano when I had absolutely no interest in it, it would only backfire. Even if they decide later on in life that they might be interested in a particular instrument, the remnants of the past might overshadow the renewed interest.

Don't make kids hate music or the instruments they're not ready to play or enjoy. When they do, they will. 

That's just my take. 

Over and out,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe