Skip to main content

Back To Where We Were Before....

 

2020 was one-of-a-kind. It presented us with a whole load of firsts. The first time anyone was ever ordered to work from home. The first time, cash is rendered dangerous. The first time I bought eggs online. The first time I got delirious at everybody (anybody) within earshot about not being allowed out of the house.

It was also the first time the family ever had a birthday celebration via app.

Now, my parents are not very tech-savvy people and my dad, he's the more tech-savvy one between the two, and the app he chooses to master for everything from texting, calling to videoconferencing was Whatsapp.

So, while I may video conference people at work with Teams, Zoom, Slack, or Meet, with my parents, we do it with the laggy Whatsapp.

We got a bit of a break from this lock-down hullabaloo between the end of 2020 to the middle of 2021 where the noose was loosened by our Malaysian government. With hopes of the vaccine coming in, we were in kind of a happy mood that we were finally allowed to celebrate some of our birthdays together, face to face, in the same room, at the same table, taking the same damn picture from ten smartphones all at the same time.

The simple joys in life.

Now, Malaysia's back in lock-down and...I don't want to piss on this piece just yet, I'll do that later in another post...and Southeast Asia is definitely taking a hit from the sudden rise in new daily COVID-19 cases.

Gosh, I don't know the details and I don't like looking at the numbers although I have to. But here we are. Back into lock-down again.

So, it's a pity that my dad's birthday had to be celebrated via video conference call again.

But here's the funny thing. As enraged and disappointed as we were the first time around, I think there's a kind of 'acceptance' and 'acknowledgment', and maybe even 'familiarity' this time.

We set the time and schedule the way we would an office meeting or morning huddle. It didn't even feel weird, anymore! If COVID-19 taught this family anything, it's how to set up a video conference call effortlessly, getting the links, and being on time.

It's ridiculous to me that it's funny. #lol

Thankfully, the lock-down happened before my kids' and mom's birthdays (in April) so, we had the chance to sit down for quite a couple of birthdays before things veered south. THAT, we are thankful for.

The Pandemic has definitely changed all of us in many different ways. One day, I'll be sitting here and counting the ways our lives have changed over the course of these few years of lockdown-release-lockdown.

The data doesn't look good, folks, so I hope you guys stay as safe and healthy as you can. It's back to doing yoga, Zumba, and fun dance videos from YouTube again, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe