Skip to main content

ReCap : What I’ve Learned in 2019

I’ve long given up on drawing up a list of resolutions because I know for a fact that it doesn’t work...for me, anyway. Instead, I come up with a list of things that I’ve learned the year before that has helped me grow. The list is kind of personal and long but I’ll share the gist of it here; who knows, it might help or resonate with someone else.

I don’t like to lie and write about rainbows and fluffy puffs all the time. That’s not the way my life works and if I put up a front here, not only am I not being true to myself, I am also not being true to the people who actually read the shite I write.

There are, of course, filtered things that I think might get me into trouble or cause a rift between people (because this is the INTERNET, after all) but the things I post here are genuinely what I feel, be it good or bad

So, what have I learned in 2019? Here goes!
Be the type of person who cheers on others, compliments strangers and encourages people to believe in themselves - Unknown

  1. I am Going to be Fine
    I think I’ve mentioned this way too many times and people might think I am this deep, philosophical person who has a jaded view on life. Well, they can be right on the latter because I am a little jaded. I prefer to use the word ‘wiser’ and more ‘mature’, actually.

    In all honesty, I’ve had so many doors slammed in my face in 2018 and 2019 alone. On the professional and personal front, I’ve become a human callous. Despite days of sitting down in the corner of my room regretting, wondering what I did wrong, blaming, wishing things were different, I’ve learned that I’m a damn stubborn human callous.

    Doors can slam in my face all the time but they’ve helped me grow even more resilient. I don’t have to understand why it happened nor do I have to argue my way back into the other side of the door. All I need to do is to say, ‘Why, that was nice of you. You’re welcome’ and walk away.

     
  2. Life is Short
    I think this is something I will remind myself time and time again. Moments, where I sit awashed by the fear of the unknown, will be over. I’ve launched off into multiple directions partly because I think I’ve reached the second phase of my life. 

    We can be all positiveenthusiastic, and forward-looking but we really don’t know what’s ahead. Really, we don’t. 

    As a mom, I’ve postponed a ton of things in my own life because I am tasked with paving the path for my kids. My kids are no longer kids and there’s no more time to wait to catapult my own life into the orbit that I want it to be in. 

    I can feel my old, younger self coming back. That bit of recklessness can do me a little bit of good. 

    3. I Can Do it
    You wouldn’t believe it but the year 2019 has shown me, in multiple ways, that I CAN do it. From overcoming debilitating fears to stepping into strange, overwhelming realms. Contrary to popular beliefs (lol - according to people I know, anyway), I am not as independent and fearless as they think I am. I just hide it well

    With a plan, resolute faith, and a strange wave of determination, I can do it. I can ignore mental roadblocks and forge ahead to do the things that my heart tells me to do. So, this year, I’ll probably be doing more of those things. 

    I can’t wait to do the things I think I can’t do. This does not, unfortunately, conquering my fear of insects, heights, and horror movies. Nope. No, can do. Not yet, anyway. #lol
      
    4. I Change Me
    I KNOW everyone’s different...you can see this all over the internet. Everyone’s living their own lives based on their circumstances, belief systems, and experiences. I can’t please everyone

    I don’t have to acknowledge nor fight people who have different sets of beliefs and experiences from me. Which loosely translates into I don’t have to give a rat’s ass about every freaking thing

    Being called names, judged, perceived in a way I consider insulting and belittling...it has all become a part of life. Severing ties with people is fine and I don’t have to blame myself or the person for what was happening. I only have to accept it as it is and wish the person well

    Fighting back and stating my case with everyone who disagrees with me is me. Or used to be me. When something goes wrong, my friends would give me a push and ask me to fight the case for them because I am not afraid to speak my mind. 

    Over the last few years, I’ve learned that I don’t have to do that anymore. Not every battle is my battle. With so little time left on this planet, I can’t fight everything. It’s exhausting.


    5. Compassion and Kindness
    Because people have shown me their ugliest colors doesn’t mean I have to do the same. I’ve done it and felt horrible after that because I told myself I would take the high road. I’ve also sat back under a barrage of attacks, wishing not to fight which only resulted in my being called ‘weak’. 

    I don’t have to change the person that I am to fight back against the perception. The way I see it, the only way to fight back is to prove to myself that I can stand my ground. I don’t have to stoop down to their level to thrive. I want to be a compassionate, kind person who can step into people’s shoes and see things from their points of view. 

    Just because some people are ugly, I don’t have to be that. 

    Marsha and boys in tanjong sepat

    ***

    I don’t have a resolution, like I said, but if there’s one thing I wish to do more in 2020 is to refocus the second phase of my life which includes my career and becoming healthier

    I might want to lose some weight but I don’t like the concept because it’s not how I measure health and fitness. I don’t want to end up looking sick and haggard because I believe having a little bit of flesh on my bone looks and feels better for me. 

    Thanks for those hard-hitting lessons, people. I think I’ve become a slightly better, if not stronger, person because of it. 

    Things were also amazing this year and I allow myself to feel awesome about it. 

    We've less than a week before we welcome the new decade, a new millennium. I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that things will be amazing, awful, yet exceptionally happy for you and your family. 



    Hold On - Wilson Phillips
    I know this pain (I know this pain)
    Why do you lock yourself up in these chains? (these chains)
    No one can change your life except for you
    Don't ever let anyone step all over you
    Just open your heart and your mind (mmm)
    Is it really fair to feel, this way inside? (woah)

    Some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye
    Until then, baby, are you going to let 'em hold you down and make you cry?
    Don't you know?
    Don't you know, things can change
    Things'll go your way
    If you hold... on for one more day
    Can you hold... on for one more day?
    Things'll go your way...
    Hold on for one more day

    You could sustain (you could sustain)
    Or are you comfortable with the pain?
    You've got no one to blame for your unhappiness (no, baby)
    You got yourself into your own mess (oooh...)
    Lettin' your worries pass you by (lettin' your worries pass you by)
    Baby, don't you think it's worth your time
    To change your mind? (no, no)

    Some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye
    Until then, baby, are you going to let 'em hold you down and make you cry?
    Don't you know?
    Don't you know, things can change
    Things'll go your way
    If you hold... on for one more day
    Can you hold... on for one more day?
    Things'll go your way (oh, things'll go your way)
    Hold on for one more day

    I know that there is pain, but you
    Hold on for one more day, and ya
    Break free from the chains...
    Yeah I know that there is pain, but you
    Hold for one more day, and ya
    Break free, break from the chains

    Some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye (and say goodbye)
    Until then, baby, are you going to let 'em hold you down and make you cry?
    Don't you know?
    Don't you know, things can change (know)
    Things'll go your way
    If you hold... on for one more day, yeah
    Can you hold... on...

    Don't you know, things could change
    Things could go your way
    If you hold... on for one more day
    Can you hold... on
    Can you hold on

    Mmm, can you hold on, baby

    Won't you tell me now
    Hold on for one more day, cause
    It's gonna go your way

    Don't you know, things could change
    Things could go your way
    If you hold on for one more day, yeah

    Can't you change it this time
    Make up your mind
    Hold on, hold on
    Baby hold on 


    ***

    Lots of love,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe