Skip to main content

Book: See Me (Nicholas Sparks)

It felt like the book was divided into two parts.

It has a slow and steady interlude that lulled me into thinking it was a romance sci-fi (sorta) by introducing me to the two main characters. 

I found Colin a little hard to relate to at first because of his violent tendencies and colored past and, I am sure all other readers found this to be true as well, I wondered if his violent tendencies would ever rear its ugly head again during a heated squabble. 

In the real world, the leopard doesn't change its spots, so, I had my doubts.

See Me - Nicholas Sparks
But I trusted Sparks to stay relatively on course with his previous works of The Notebook and A Walk to Remember. Authors are known to fish-tail once in a while or veer off track but even when they do, they generally don't make too big of a U-Turn.

The second half of the book was where I was taken by surprise.

Beyond the abovementioned two books from Sparks, I've not read the other books.

At first, the book took its time padding out potential futures for the couple, broke them up, saw her gain trust in the once-violent but changed man that Colin was. The book never ventured into Colin's parents and his side of the family. It made clear that Colin was pretty much on his own, hawked over by the police, sneered at by the public and considered a threat without trying too hard to. It was hard not to fall in love with the gentle giant that he had become.

It made me question myself: if a man with such a long history of violent tendencies was to go through a metamorphosis, would I be able to look at the person with the same kind of understanding, patience, and risk my life getting so close?

Sparks masterfully transformed my thinking with each chapter, slowly letting us into his thoughts (although I found his ambition to become a third-grade teacher to be a bit far-fetched).

I felt the book could have been written as two books. Like at first he intended it to be a romance only to add the fast-paced action as an afterthought. But it was more than an afterthought, though. It was a lengthy page-turning section that was encapsulating.

It kept me guessing till the end...and I was still wrong. And this proves Nicholas Sparks to be as masterful a thriller storyteller as he is a romantic one.

4.9/5 Stars


😂 0.1 stars taken off because of the cover. It was a misleading cover. I bought the book because I thought it was a romance/mellow toilet-subway-bank-train station-restaurant queue kind of book. Those dead yellow roses don't look dead enough to tell the true story of what's inside.

It's Friday!
Love,
content strategist, blogger, book lover and human of sorts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe