Skip to main content

Update: An Avalanche Kind of Day

After the peeing-in-your-face incidents, shopping mall toddler tantrums, mentally-crippling bullying in school, high school entrance, cute puppy loves, worrying 24/7 internet invasion in their lives, teens don't cut their moms/dads any slack. Not even when they're fully-grown and completely capable of doing owning their own bank accounts and throwing out their own trash.

A parent's job is just never done.

Accordingly, moms work an average of 98 hours a week and that's why we're always 'Superheroes' who are tired AF all the freaking time. 😂

My boys laugh at me for lasting all of 2 to 3 Youtube videos in bed at night before I automatically clock myself out of this world and into dreamland. Somehow, the tiredness grips me and yanks me headlong into involuntary rest - much like a tired toddler who vehemently insists that he/she is not tired.

The morning started out with us joining son's friends at the ice-skating rink and since none of them seems worried at all about eating (the flurry of high-fives, OMGs, bro!!!!!!!!, let's gooooooooo, and come ooooonnnnnnnnn took over the second they see each other and everything is out the window), I stayed behind with the other son to get the lunch bit of their day sorted out.

I get anxious when they're on the ice. This stemmed from an unpleasant earlier separate incident when my younger one fell and sprained his hand after a comical waltz while losing his balance. It still gives him and I some shivers. And it's not even from the cold.



I know I was hovering and my mantra was "trust him, believe in him, trust him, believe in him, for chrissakes, he's a goddamn 6-footer in those damn skates, he's good, he's fine..." and then I repeat that for a couple of hours. And the truth was, he was fine. His friends were there, he's perfectly FINE.

So, instead of melting into a puddle of panic, I walked off. Shopping for eyeliner did the trick. Highly recommended.

My other son decided to stay on too because his friends Uber-ed their way there to join him so, I ended wandering around the mall, the chauffeur that I was being reduced to.

Traipsing around the mall was not the end of it. There was an Awards Night where they wanted to attend to see the rest of their friends and teachers off. There I was again to get a handle of the dinner aspect of their schedule that failed to capture their attention at all.

Eggs Benedict. No. It didn't come with the name Cumberpatch XD

That's the thing about being a work-at-home mom: your hours are flexible but it means you'll have to work your schedule around so much you'll be drinking coffee at 2am finishing off stuff that should have been done when the sun was still up.

I sometimes would appreciate it if people realized that there is always a trade-off. Yes, I LOOK free but if I go shopping with you now because you've just broken off with your boyfriend and need a comforting human to be with you, there's a trade-off on my part. This means me staying awake at 3am finishing things off.

By the end of the day, I was done splitting myself in two or three...or four...and was determined to pretend I was a tub of jello.

But you know what? I am thankful that I have hugs and kisses that greet me every single day despite my complaints, grouses, and nagging (i.e. consistent phone calls that came with threats of the end of allowances and rights to future outings with friends if said calls went unanswered).

All in all, it was busy but absolutely fun.

For me, the trade-off of late nights and weekends making up for lost hours are well worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe