Skip to main content

Living Memories

Moments come, moments go, people enter and exit your life, some are meant to stay.

And that's why pictures are very precious to me. If you know me at all, ever since I discovered the wonders of point-and-shoot cameras (and can afford one), I've never really left home without it. Almost obsessed.

First came the hailstorm of phones with a camera but without Instagram


And then Instagram opened up the floodgates of opportunities to Android users after cementing its popularity amongst Apple users. Its gravitational pull was undeniable. My first foray into Instagram was? The air-conditioning remote control that was sitting beside me when I downloaded the app. Ah well.



A post shared by Marsha Maung (@marshamaung) on

Everyone could then start recording everything important, or mundane, in his or her lives and let them live forever in electronic or paper form. If you want to remain in the game, amp up your everyday activities. Like this fist pump.



A post shared by Marsha Maung (@marshamaung) on

And this cute (it's supposed to be evil but...) OK, evil note.



A post shared by Marsha Maung (@marshamaung) on

It allows me to backdate humorous moments too. Now, I can take a picture of a picture and show it off to my friends without lugging my photo albums around with me. Yay? 😁

There was also a mind-numbing uptick in usage in social sites like Facebook. The app was so ingrained in people (my age) that when I told my friends that I no longer have the Facebook app on my phone, stunned faces looked back at me. Like I deleted my entire life.

But even before Instagram sneaked its way into my life, I've always had a fascination with capturing special moments on camera. Hence, my first camera was actually a selfie-camera by Nikon. I've got a good reason for making such a purchase. Most of the time, I am alone with my kids and there wouldn't be anyone we can ask to help us take pictures. Selfies are also more natural, the way I see it. Well...it used to be, anyway.

Nothing is written in stone, I know, but there are some things that holds more value than a Facebook or Instagram picture.

I don't know about you but I make it a point to print out hard copies of the pictures that I take and place them in a conventional photo album reminiscent of the 1950s or 1960s. Nothing beats flipping through those photos with a sweet smile on your face as you recall people who have graciously entered (and exited) your life.

It also allowed us to capture people who and moments that will never come around again. Some pictures never make it online and because of that, I clutch them closer to my chest.

People come, people go. That's the way the world is and it will forever remain this way. One thing's for sure, though - memories have a longer shelf life. The pictures we capture are just slivers of time encapsulated in a warp. But memories live on.

It's been months but I still find myself thinking about Ann who had passed on after a fight with cancer. Of course, reality has sunk in by now, but it's not something you forget so easily. If I say I'm over it, I would be lying.

People don't disappear so suddenly and easily from human memory. I hope I never forget. I can still hear her loud guffaw and her calling me a crazy person in my head. Her young life ended too soon and it's funny how we always say we never saw it coming and yet, even when we saw it coming, we refused to believe it?

Today would have been my young, deceased cousin's birthday and I want her to know that we remember. We're thinking of her. Here's wishing my cousin a Happy Birthday if she was still alive. In our hearts, she still is, anyway.


When someone means something to you, they live on. 
We'll see you when we see you again, Ann,
Don't run so much, you siow lang
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe