Skip to main content

Families & Culture: The Nest

Maybe it's a cultural thing but I am sure we've all read about that one guy whose parents took him to court for overstaying his welcome. The parents won the suit and sent the son packing.

It's none of anyone's business, in my personal opinion, but in this part of the world, many kids stay with their parents well into their adulthood. Sometimes, till they die. In all fairness, most of those kids (who stay on with their parents) contribute towards the welfare of their parents. They either chip in financially or take care of the home for their aging or sickly parents.

I know many people who continue to stay on with their parents even at my age, and it's not for me to judge.

Learning How to Paddle Your Own Canoe

The parents in the New York story who, literally, gave their son the boot probably had their reasons to do so. Some people need that kick in the ass to get the move on. There are quite a number of IRL people came to mind too. #lol There ARE people who refuse to grow up, take responsibility and do some work, unfortunately.

Online, people started getting worried that their parents would actually kick them out their shared homes after reading the news piece. I don't blame them. 😂😂😂😆😆😆

My personal opinion is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with kids staying on with their parents for as long as necessary. PROVIDED they have shared responsibilities. There has to be an understanding. People need to sit down and talk to each other.

The kids benefit from the warmth of having a loving home (provided everyone's on reasonably good terms, of course. An insane home is not a warm home), home-cooked food, clean sheets or parents who are willing to babysit their grandkids. The parents benefit from having people in the home to scrub the bathroom once in a while, fix the lock, offer to drive them to the grocery store, or have a beer with before sleep.
If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they're yours; if they don't, they never were - Richard Bach
Don't get me wrong because in the abovementioned case, I am NOT for the adult son mooching off of his parents. I would be annoyed as hell if my kids contributed zilch to the family and still acted as entitled as the guy, but there ARE benefits to families staying together.

No Apple-to-Apple Comparison When It Comes to Family Dynamics

In many Asian countries, parents and kids stay together under the same roof for a long, long time. Asian families may not express their love for each other a whole lot (the words 'I love you' would likely elicit suspicion and the question, 'What did you do? What do you want from me?' rather than a reassuring hug) But many families in this part of the world stay together because the family unit is stronger together.

I might regret this later because who knows what is out there in uncharted waters. As it is, I am paddling like mad underneath the calm waters of real life while maneuvering my way around looming obstacles that seem to pop out at me unannounced. Every....single....day.

I am flying blind 😂😕 but everyone does in life. No matter how much you plan your life, a sucker punch might be lying in wait just around the corner.

Live And Let Live, Come What Effin' May

But at this moment, if my kids are on the right track, I don't mind living with them under one roof at all. I might sing a different tune later on, who knows, but that's the story right now. I don't know what the bridge looks like until I am ready to cross it, right?


Life presents itself in different shapes and forms as we age. I am just thankful to be here right now, to be present at this stage in life, still relatively unscathed. Relatively.

It's Friday!

Lotsa lotsa, lotsa, lotsa love,
Is it beer or wine time?
XOXO,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe