Skip to main content

Kdrama : Queen In Hyun's Man (2012)

Credit : Google Search

I am convinced that I am on a time-travel-kdrama watching spree...is it because of my personal choice or is it because that's the trend these days? Who knows. But one of the reasons why I chose to watch this was because of Yoo In Na. She's adorable although her giggling and almost-out-of-tune voice can get to you, but she's adorable anyway. =) At certain angles, she reminds me of Charmaine Sheh.

Despite my 'reputation' of showing up for the handsome showman, this time, I didn't even know who the lead actor was. My first impression was...meh...OK, but meh... but I've fallen, kinda, in love with the genre and it all started with The Time Traveler's Wife.

Anyway, the series takes us along for the ride that the time-traveling Joseon Dynasty scholar goes on when he manages to defy the logic of time and space with a mysterious talisman. Every time he is at the brink of death, he is transported to another era.

The series is basically all about the power of love. The love of two women for one man, each one living in a different era, their willingness to sacrifice and their unconditional love. Their desperation to keep him both safe and by their sides. It is already evident by the first few episodes that the women are besotted by the geeky scholar for no apparent reason and the writers make it clear that, right from he get-go, the nerdy time-traveler knew absolutely close to zilch about love.

In fact, one might venture out to say that it is refreshing that the main actor is not an absolute jerk...for once! LOL. He's dignified, he's learned, he makes sense, he is not panicky and does not jump to conclusions (despite time traveling), he finds out stuff when he's confused...basically, he is the kind of rock you would want in a man. You can tell I fell head over heels for the guy? Yeah...so what?! XD

Touching concept although you might want to ditch your common sense and leave it at your doorstep (as with all fantasy genre stories, duh). Why? Because it's about noble love that is so genuine that it has the ability to transport the person you care for, make them zip through time, and bring them to you.

The uniqueness is in the fact that the talisman (from his Joseon-era love) and the smartphone (from his modern-day love) both gave him the power. It had nothing to do with him wanting to time travel or having the power to do so. Quite original, for me, at least.

I miss the actors (mostly the guy, actually) because their characters grew on me and I kinda want to know what their future look like. And because the actors dated in real life after the show, their chemistry is so awwwww-inducing, I have cavities from watching. LOL

It's a waste of his crying abilities because he has a very stoic character to play. When he cries, he makes me wanna cry too. =( Sad eyes galore. Although in general, I would say that Yoo In Na's portrayal was too playful and childish and Ji Hyun Woo couldn't have been more stoned, that's the way they portray the polar opposite characters in the show.

Whisper : They have some of the best kisses in Kdrama land. I promise. Be gone, pursed-lips-kisses. LOL

Rating : 4.5/5

Love,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe