Skip to main content

Movie : Passengers (2016)


I have so many mixed feelings about this movie that I don't know what to really say about it. First, there's the morality issue. Second, there's the sudden romance issue. Thirdly, there's a tinge of Kdrama issue that I am not quite accustomed to seeing in a Hollywood movie. Fourth, there's the sudden appearance and senseless disappearing of some characters. 

Loneliness
We all know loneliness is a killer. Imagine, you're stuck in the middle of nowhere for the rest of your life. There's nobody, no human you can interact with for...the...rest...of...your...life. Dayum....it's quite horrifying, if you think about it. You get to talk to vacuum cleaners and robots but it isn't the same, is it?

But does it mean it is OK to destroy someone else's life because of that loneliness, knowing that the person you have chosen had no say as to whether he/she is willing to accompany you on this ride to the end of your life with you?

Could be better
It could be better if there was more depth to the characters instead of giving us a sweeping overview of their backgrounds...quite generalized and stereotypical, actually. So, Chris is this not-so-smart but very useful in the shed kinda guy. You know, the handy man. Then there's Jennifer the writer, all up-scale, elite, smart and too good for you. A little too stereotypical for a movie that focuses on just these two main characters and it is a waste that not much background was given, except for Jennifer having abandoned some of her friends back home. 

Stunning imagery
If there's a saving grace, it's the CGI. Awesome ship, where can I board it? And that space bungee jump thing? Let me at it. LOL

Sudden betrayal by a bartender who is the only friendly face on board
Was there an explanation as to why the sudden betrayal or tactlessness on the part of the bartender in revealing a secret out of the blue? When? Where? How?

Disappointment with the parallel to Kdrama
You know...the I did this for you, you should love me. The I betrayed you, I killed you but you know what? Love conquers all. Well, in this case, it's more like sex conquers all. Speaking of which, the chemistry between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence was...hhmm...well...not much to talk about, really. LOL

I've watched a whole lot of Kdramas and to be honest, I watch them because there's not much to think about. It's LURVE, what else is there to think about? And that's what Passengers is like for me. Normally, when I watch a Hollywood movie, I expect to think a little. In fact, I mentally give myself a quick lap around the pool just to make sure that I am ready to bend a little more than usual. With this movie, I didn't even have to. Nothing to think about. 

Chris is stoned, Jennifer rocked
I've not watched any other movies that Chris Pratt has been in but his acting did not impress me except for the last few bits where emotions were absolutely crucial to the scenes. I would say Jennifer Lawrence, in the acting department, carried this movie through. It's a pity since we have only two characters to rely on to move the movie along and we only see Jennifer doing a decent job. Sorry, Chris. You're still cute. *wink*

Overall...slot it in between bus rides 
I give this movie a 6.5 / 10


Watch it when you have absolutely nothing to do and like CGI graphics.

Love,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe