Skip to main content

Why Didn't #Nomakeup Trend Much Earlier

It could be my years of having to put on makeup on stage, it could be my rebellious streak, it could be that I am sick of conformity. But I have stopped wearing (too much) make-up for years and I have no idea why Alicia Keys' move to go #nomakeup is such a thing these days.

Until this mother made a comparison between what's on a Girls Magazine and a Guys Magazine popped up in my timeline. She put the magazines together, side by side, and asked the Editors, do you see what is wrong and what are we teaching girls these days?! If you don't want to read the link, basically, the Girls Magazine headlines are stuff like 'how to have the hair that you can only dream of', 'Fall fashion you'll love', 'My first kiss', 'Wake up pretty', etc. On the Guys' Magazine, it says just one thing (that I can see) and it's 'EXPLORE YOUR FUTURE'.

There's a big, huge ass difference, isn't there?

While the trend of going make-up-free is growing, I don't understand why it wasn't growing before this. Or am I too early for this world? If you love working with make-up, I am completely fine with that because I have seen some awesome transformations on Youtube and really, kudos to those artists because it is an art and it takes talent and loads of practice to do that.

What I am talking about is how we imprison ourselves when we become slaves to make-up. My mom would often tell me in her befuddled tone that I should AT LEAST put on some lipstick because I look haggard. Maybe I do but in my mind, I am going 'and I don't give a rat's ass what people think I look like because I am comfortable with this right now'. My mom is a fashionista, actually, and if she was given another chance to choose a career for herself, I suspect she would be either an interior decorator or a fashion designer, she just loves stuff like that.

Sorry, mom. Not me. Lol. #disappointment

Yes, I have potholes on my face because I had chicken pox at the age of 32 and it was BADDDDDDDDDDDD!

Yes, I have wrinkles because....well...what can I say? lol

Yes, I have uneven skin tone because....hello? DNA much?

Yes, I have bags under my eyes because last night's sleep was pppffftttthhhhh...

Yes, my skin is oily because I was sweating when I was cooking in the kitchen a moment ago.

I feel like if I have to hide all that, I am putting unnecessary pressure on myself for the benefit of people who don't know me and people who are probably going to go home not knowing any more about me than before.

So why?

If they think I am haggard or lazy, fine. Good for you. Bye. Have a good life. Someone who loves me will see everything that I have on me and love me just fine and that's all the pressure I need. Sometimes I have eyeliner on, sometimes I have some blusher on, sometimes I use loose powder but the point is that I don't feel any less me when I go out without.

While I do not encourage people to go make-up free to official events and red carpets (Alicia Keys' got the balls to do this, I have to say this), my point is this...love yourself, potholes, wrinkles, pimples and all. If you feel like wearing make-up, wear it. If you don't feel like wearing make-up, don't wear it. Don't let others dictate how you feel about yourself.

For people who are going to fight back with how 'first impression counts', I am going to counter with these. How about a firm handshake? A confident stance? A brilliant smile? An alert outlook? How about an intelligent conversation? Positive body language?

Your husband's going to leave you when he sees you like this? Damn, what a man.

Your colleagues will think that you are not capable of leading a team? Show 'em, girl!!! Take back your personal power!

Your relatives are going to think you are letting yourself go? Yeah? How's that going to change my life? lol

No man's going to like you or date you? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yes, not everyone looks like Alicia Keys and it takes courage and a little bit of getting used to and dignity to hold your head up high when people say that you should visit the doctor cause you look pale and sick and when you do, you will feel the freedom to choose and not to be enslaved by people's comments and thoughts.

The freedom to say I don't care.

#nomakeup
Love,
Marsha

Credit : Colored Beauty by iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe