Skip to main content

Why I Love Malaysia


I've often ranted and raved about the injustices in Malaysia and the sub-par improvements in the country but come to think of it, there are MANY things that I love about Malaysia and here's a blog post for that. So, today, I am going to talk about things that I really like here, in this home country of mine (if some people will let me call it my home country and not ask me to GO HOME).

Space - Have you ever been to places like Hong Kong and Singapore? If you have, then you will know what I mean when I say that I love the space that we have here! Oh, the other countries are fine....not complaining about them but when I first landed in HK, the first thing that I saw were buildings upon buildings upon buildings. The walkways were TINY and it is hard not to bump into someone when walking (and oh, the SPEED they walk!!! Ack!) and you know what I felt when the plane landed in KLIA? Freedom. Space. Fresh air. That was when I started appreciating Malaysia for what it is. We have space. Except when you head towards downtown KL where....well, all you'll see are buildings upon buildings upon buildings. But generally speaking, we don't have a problem looking ahead and seeing over the top of buildings.

Food - Because we're a multi-cultural society, man....the food. I mean, other countries have their own thing too but like my friend pointed out, live outside of Malaysia for six months and you'll soon find yourself dreaming of Nasi Lemak, Nasi Briyani and Char Kuey Teow every night. I can't live with that.

Malls - I heard that in some countries, the malls and even the tiny retailers call it a day very early. Here, the malls open till 10pm and if it is a public holiday, you get to shop till MIDNIGHT. Yes, whoever heard of that, right? I mean, Malaysians much be crazy if we can shop till 12. Yeah, we're a mad nation.

Mamak - We take the mamaks for granted, really. I mean, the mamak is a perfect place for everything, not just eating. If there is a football match, you watch it there. If you want cheap dates, you eat it there. If you want to propose to your girlfriend, you can do it there. The perfect place for everything! And Malaysians linger around in mamak stalls ALLLLLLL NIIIGGGHHHTTTT LOOOONNNGGG, nobody chases you away, for a measly one cup of drink. The owners don't walk up to your table to force you to buy more food or drinks just because you're taking up space. Brilliant, man.

People - The reason why I rant about some people in this country is because I love everyone in this country, regardless of race and religion. That is what we should be celebrating about and it should not be used to divide us. My friends belong to all groups of races in this country and I love them for being them. Just because they don't eat pork does not mean that we can't have a nice meal together. And because we are different that it makes our friendship better and stronger.

Languages - Here's where the gwai-lows (white people) lose out....here, we speak a thousand and one languages. If Bahasa don't work, try English. If English don't work, try Mandarin. If Mandarin don't work, try Cantonese. If Cantonese don't work, try Hokkien. If Hokkien don't work, try Tamil. Well, I don't speak Tamil but....you get my drift.

Astro on Demand and Maaduu - As far as I know, Malaysians are so crazy about our dramas that we are the first country (I think) to have TVB series air the same time as it is aired in HK. And now, we have Maaduu for free Korean dramas. If I were to be living in....say, New Zealand, I don't think I would have such luck, eh?

Affordable homes - Only after my sister's research into renting homes in HK that I started appreciating the fact that our homes are bigger and affordable. I mean, HKD6000 for a small tuna fish can sized room is a bit much, don't you think? For the same amount of money, you can finance TWO homes to the size of 1600 sqft (depending on the location of the home). In some places in the country, the same amount of money, you can finance a whole three-storey shop lot!

So, yes. Despite all the rants and complaints, deep down in my heart, I DO love Malaysia. Just Malaysia, not 1Malaysia (because it's fake!! Fuwah!! Hahaha. Don't agree? Talk to the hand)

Comments

I love Malaysia too...SATU MALAYSIA, ONE MALAYSIA, MALAYSIA BOLEH :)

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe