Skip to main content

Discover Your Greatest Shortcomings And Be Willing To Correct It

Near my house, there is a temple and sometimes I make it a point to visit it. There is something very serene about the atmosphere inside. The monks are either sitting on one of the benches chatting with normal folks like us, or they are meditating somewhere in one of their chambers.

They have lots of booklets and handouts and so, walking past, I grab one. Hoping for some insight? You bet.

Anyway, I grabbed this one called 'One Hundred Tasks For Life' written and compiled by Venerable Master Hsing Yun. The first one on the list is 'discover your greatest shortcomings and be willing to correct it'.

Hhhhmmmm.....so many, Venerable!

But come to think of it, I think it's right to put it at the top of the list of things to do in this lifetime. Human beings err, whether we like it or not. But because we are ego beings, our first reaction would be to deny that we have a problem or that the problem is someone else's problem. We are not wrong, our ego says.

Being ego is although natural, it should not define how we view our interaction with the world. If we are to survive life's trials and tribulations, we have to be able to face up to our own weaknesses.

I know you've been waiting for my confession. Hehehe....

My biggest weakness is....procrastination. Yes, I will wait until things start to rot or until there is a complaint before I deal with it. The reason I procrastinate is not because I am lazy. I fear the outcome or I am not sure if I can handle it. Therefore, I procrastinate. Sometimes I procrastinate because I think maybe the problem will go away.

So, there, I have admitted to one of my biggest shortcomings and from henceforth, I will work towards correcting it.

What about you? What is your greatest shortcomings? Maybe it is time to admit it and work on correcting it too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...