Skip to main content

The Perfect Email

With the rising number of users who have hopped onto other online marketing methods, it leaves us questioning whether email marketing via a mailing list continues to be as effective as it used to be. Well, most online marketing experts agree that while many have hopped onto other quicker marketing methods that cost less money. However, this leaves us that small margin number of people who are still a little more old school in their thinking. Are they worth your time? Do you think it is worthwhile investing your time writing them emails that they most probably will not even open much less respond to. The secret lies in writing an email that hits the right note! Forget about writing an email that is devoid of personality. Instead of signing off with 'yours sincerely, the YourCompany team', you'll have to sign off as 'Your friend, Bob'. I've personally seen so many emails during the course of my career that it takes a lot to make me open an email that is not from my clients, family members, friends or a joke website. I know that if I open all the other emails, they are all either trying to get me to buy something or trying to push someone else's product down my throat. None of that for me, thank you very much. I bet if you have an online business, you would be saying the same thing too. So, here are a couple of things that I think will make people open up your future emails.
  • Address them by name
  • Give them links to other sites or highlight articles written by others (as opposed to written by yourself or your staff member)
  • Make it personal
  • Make it short
  • Get right to the point, no beating around the bush! Consumers don't have a lot of time to spend reading and scanning emails any more unlike the good ole days when people used to spend hours perusing each email that they receive and open them with a 'YIPEE'
  • Tell them what is in it for them
  • No pushing and shoving. When you tell them that it is 'for a limited time only', they KNOW you are desperate. It used to work, but not now
  • Have a blog and give them the link in the email
  • Have a facebook account and give them the link
  • Have a twitter account and give them the link
  • Surrender your name and number (only for businesses with a toll-free number). Let them know that you are a real person or let them have a real person's name....someone they can really call for information
And here's something from the old school of thought that continues to work today – call for action. Give them a very good reason to respond to your email. It could be an article, promotional coupon or download of some exclusive material. As an example, I would say that Vertical Response sends the most perfect email that I have ever received; clear, concise, to the point, and calls out to me to act....although I never did. But that's only because I already have another account with someone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe