Skip to main content

Kid Musical el Concerto On C….C for Couldabeenbetter

The signs are here….that he’s about to leave the nest, forget me and all the good food that I’ve ever cooked for him…and that I spend a painful number of hours ironing his clothes for him every single day, I fold his underwear, match his socks, wrap his books, bought him his favorite CDs, his Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS Lite, and tells him a thousand times over in a day that I love him.

Kid No. 1 is outgrowing my mothering techniques – and I was disillusioned into thinking that I had it down pat.

I can see it, smell it…sometimes, I taste it. Er…leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth, I mean. He’s starting to enjoy his own personal space more now that he’s going to be double-digit years old next year. Oh, gawrd. How they grow so fast, I am blinded by the speed of it all.

During his participation in the school’s musical, I think a part of me still thinks that he’s a kindergartener….DIAPER CHANGE! But no. I flew from backstage to frontstage, backstage to front just to make sure that everything’s done according to MY RULES….teachers be damned!

Too much lipstick, clothes lop-sided, this is the wrong color blush …blah blah blah….such dictatorship can be seen in me only when it concerns my kids. Nobody screws around with the star of my life. He may have a small dancing role (in which he does a really disastrous yet comical job at), but he’s the star, and I don’t care what they say there on the booklet. And they even spelt his name wrongly…the cheek on them people.

I know that it’s probably time for me to learn more about dealing with a pre-teen. In a blink of an eye, he’s standing next to me and the top of his head measures right up to nearly my shoulder, and mind you, I am no pixie.

The downside of dealing with the first child is that you’re never really prepared because you’ve never done it before, granted, no child is ever the same but then again, at least you’re more emotionally prepared for erratic choices and unavoidable talk-backs 2nd time around.

It comes with being a pre-teen and teen. Soon, we’d be talking about condoms, erections, girls, masturb……. *cringe* Hey, do you think I have to supply the Playboy magazine, or is something else hotter out there in the market?

During the concert, his expression upon seeing me bustling up to him tells me that he’s less than delighted to see me. Only a little. I swear. If he did not fear my temper, one that is bigger than the Universe, he would have shoved me and said, ‘Would you quit hanging around? You’re embarrassing me!’

The show was oddly entertaining, albeit, primary school standard woody acting and similarly ‘enchanting’ dance moves. Impressed, I am not. But there is ONE dance scene that was good and it was Voulez-Vous (Mama Mia) and I have to say that the teacher did a fabulous job coordinating that one. Others, we yawned our way through it and tried to plaster a really blinding toothy smile on our faces. It worked. No one asked us for our opinion on the show.

As much as I would have liked to stay back to watch the seniors perform their show called Mikado (don’t have a clue about this one but it sounded truly interesting) but we had to leave after Kid 1 was given the green light to leave.

That’s because of teeth erosion caused by consistent grinding. I grind my teeth every time Kid 2 says, “This is BOOOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGGG! Can we go now? This is taking forever…”

It wasn’t spectacular but it was credit-worthy. Most importantly, it gave the kids a chance to perform and show off – we know how THAT feels like, eh? It was….erm, if nothing else, very good exposure. So, I don’t quite get it when some really kiasu parents complain this, complain that, complain this, complain that….bah! Whatcha expect you old sod? Bloody Miss Saigon???

All I know is that my kid (only one of them) had fun, the other one had the supporting role of trying to make his parents tear the curtains down.

And we almost did.

 

Comments

Kit said…
Oh no, the signs are there already? I feel for you because while I still enjoying hugging and smooching my 3 year old as much as I can, Hubby warns me of THAT day to come.

Don't worry...you're such a cool Mom he may ask you advice on girls later :)
Marsha Maung said…
kittycat, gosh.....girls? uhh....... *slaps head* I don't know if I am ready for the questions they may have. I would crack their skull if some girl broke my kids' heart!

girls? AVOID THEM at all cost!! hahahaha. just kidding. likely, the advice would be this: use condoms. take the strawberry-flavored ones. hee hee hee....

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe