Skip to main content

RM5 also wanna cheat from me….

Sometimes, when you see that someone is out of place, you know that person is like a fish out of water….maybe a little desperate, probably unfamiliar. It’s like when you’re in a foreign country, locals can spot you 3km away, right?

Well, that’s probably what happened to me this morning when I went to the morning market to grab some foodstuff.

Most of the time, people who visit the wet market are aunties and uncles and perhaps some really young people who were dragged out of bed by their parents to fetch them to pick up some food from the market. These people stand out very remarkably…mouth drawn into a thin line, a frown and hardly-open puffy eyes.

But that’s not me.

Strangely enough, I quite like visiting the wet market now that they don’t perform the ‘slaying of the chickens’ atop the back of a truck for all to see…like a stage. Now, I think they hide in a camp somewhere nearby, slay the chics and then chop them up on the way, and plonk them for sale in the market the way we see it.

Anyway, that’s not my point. I usually buy fruits from my usual stall. Turns out, today is Monday and there aren’t many stalls open, so, I had to get my fruits from another stall. My eyes were lingering on the bright oranges and grapes and did not see who was behind the stall.

Turns out, there were these two ikan bilis (anchovies – small fry) yellow, punky-haired blokes with hair so sharp it could poke my eye out manning the stall. OK, never mind. Their looks aside, the oranges looked good. And the price was alright.

So, I picked out a basket of oranges and then some pears.

My skin began to crawl as I wondered if this kucikmiau (small fry, again) fella is trying to be funny with me because I didn’t look like the conventional auntie or kakak (maid) buying food in the market. I didn’t dress fancy but I am kinda tall, dressed in simple jeans and a lacy blouse. Not really market-dressing but not at all sexy or provocative.

Why, you ask, was he being funny with me?

I had a feeling that he was eyeing my barely-there chest! Holy Bananas! I don’t have ample boobs for him to ogle so WTF was that all about, right?

I shoved the pears in his direction.

Him Oh, sorry, sorry. I forgot. I look at you until I forgot liao, sorry sorry….

Me (forced smile) Mmmmm….never mind. How much?

I pass him RM20….knowing the total.

Now, the basket of oranges was going for RM10 (nice ones, mind you and there were about 16 of them in there, I think, didn’t count) and the pear was RM5. Without needing to use the calculator, we would derive at the total tabulation of RM15.

I calculate keling-sow (small sums of money) very badly but if I can calculate that, then he also can lah.

Him RM20 lor….

Me (raised eyebrow) I thot the pear was RM5?

Him (sheepishly) Oh ya, oh ya….aiyo, I look at you so beautiful, I also forget how to count already lor….

OH, COME ON! COME ON, COME ON, COME ON! Don’t give me this sh*t! But still, I held onto that smile of mine and pretended to look elsewhere…for a very blunt object to knock his head with.

Him (to his other friend behind the counter) Eh, pass this leng-lui (pretty lady) RM5 change….

I was distracted with some really nice tow-foo and fishballs, but continued to stand there waiting for my change. When I turned back to them, both these buggers were still standing there wor!

I look at them and they look at me…time stopped.

Me (a bit angry liao lah, this time) My money???

Him 2 What money?

Him (pretend to be shocked) Huh? You never give leng-lui her change ah….aiyo, you ah! I asked you to pass…haiyah!

He then trudged lazily to the bucket where the money is kept, pulled out RM5 and handed it to me sheepishly. Sheepish, to me, is forgivable one time and one time only. Second time, this fella really wanna kena slap from me liao.

Him Sorry sorry….he also see you so leng-lui also cannot hear, cannot concentrate liao.

I took my RM5 and gave them a very confused look, on purpose.

Me You all don’t go out very much, do you?

And then I walked over to the tow-foo store.

These two young punks clearly think that I am a fish out of water, never go market before or think I am three-years-old or something. I wonder how many aunties have been cheated with their leng-lui tactics leh? I can just imagine how some auntie will blush with delight and just forget her change whenever they call her ‘leng-lui’.

Oh, purleezzzzeeee…..don’t ask me how I know that it’s a tactic. It’s a woman’s instinct coz I wasn’t wearing any makeup, no short skirt, no knee-high boots, no sexy camisole…NOTHING, NADA. If you count an earring as provocative then you should join PAS (One of Malaysia’s political party…check them out for the reason why) so, I think they were trying to be funny…thinking that they can cheat me out of my RM5.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree with you.. what's there to look at?

"Move along. These aren't the droids we're looking for"
Jamie said…
aiyooo...next time you meet people like that just tell them to go to a papaya farm loh. they can get to see and touch lots of papayas for RM 5.....why the need to look at an Ah Soh's boobs? pair of morons..kekekekeke
Anonymous said…
which pasar?ss2?

Killer
Marsha Maung said…
kok yee, jamie, ya man. these are stupid senseless idiots. prob their parents went out partying too late cannot work this morning, so the kids grudgingly had to man the stall or something. siow wan, these people.

kiler, section 17 pasar lor...
Anonymous said…
GO to SS2. The stalls there 90% hokkien people. I always speak hokkien to them. It's like a mini Penang there!

At least they are not so low scums like your experience in sect 17. OH...pls boycott the aunty that sells siew-yuk in Ss2 pasar pagi. She rigged her scale to cheat customers. Dont say I didnt warn you.

Killer

Killer
Jamie said…
hey cuz, I am mostly at Section 17 near the pasar area coffeshop wan...why never see u there hah?

The coffeshop is the wan beside CIMB Bank called "Hung Seng"...if u ever wanna look for me, go find the boss named Eurich ( dun worry, he is my brother lar ) and ask him where the hell I am and when I will show up...in other words...the place is kinda like my port..
Anonymous said…
HAHAHAHAH!!! Leng lui! Leng Lui!!

This pretty leng lui went to market... the pretty leng lui stayed at home.....

luckily u not auntie-auntie until kena cheat by those 'kum moe'.
Marsha Maung said…
another mom, they think they damn stylo or something...please-lah. And just because I don't have permed hair, wearing torn tshirts and wearing jeans doesn't mean I don't know my RM5 is still with them. The leng-lui leng-lui thing...use it on some other children or some other auntie, please... sheessshhhh
Marsha Maung said…
jamie, ya meh? eh, one day i call you when I am there. I am going on thursday to buy fish. if you're there, we minum kopi or something. then i can tapow some food home for lunch.

why you so free can sit around there wan?
blinka.Li said…
I shop at Petaling Street, all old folks there. Not as cheap as pasar malam but at least no ham sap fellows la, ;P
Jamie said…
nobody in my office gives a shit what I do and where I am...thats why
Marsha Maung said…
blinka.li, but petaling street is too far for me leh. At least you can shop in peace....

jamie, that's good news, isn't it? LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe