Skip to main content

Understand What a Virtual Workplace is Supposed to be Like

To my understanding, the purpose of having all these modern tools is so that people can communicate and get work done efficiently without wasting time and money. I have clients from all over the world. People from Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan, United States, New Zealand and South America have been using my freelance writing services for a long time. I work efficiently this way - and it saves me time and money too! Having the PC and Internet is important to me because I have many other things to do - for instance, sweeping the floor, playing the piano, being AhMad to the kids fetching them in and out, in and out, buy grocery, cook, feed, wash, fold laundry, etc. You get the picture. There's a very good reason why I don't like Malaysian clients! That's because they assume that because we are in the same country that I have all the time in the world and that I can just slap my backside and go anywhere I want any time I want. If that is true and if every time I get a project from a client I have to go to their place (be it fly or drive), I mati kang-kang, you know!!! If got Singapore project, I fly Singapore. If got US project, I fly US every time they have to pass me a document.

Eh, at least my father knows how to be more efficient already lor! Although he does not know how to blog or do many online stuff, he knows how to fax me something, ask me scan it and then email it to someone! Terror, right? We're talking about my father, you know.....he recently got himself an email only and before that, still mails his letters, ok? "It's very near only mah. USJ. And you work from home mah....." That cannot be further from the truth, I tell you! Why can't email? Why cannot fax? Why have to drive all the way to some place, find parking just so can pass me some documents that one can scan and then just email me. Not more efficient meh???? I get my things done, no need to rush, no need to waste petrol (petrol very expensive these days lah) and I don't get all stressed out trying to organize my kids! Comparing Malaysian clients with my other clients (except for one), I tell you. Big difference! Money is also slower some more.....sigh. Hard to cari makan these days, man!

Comments

Krista Goon said…
That's the lazy attitude and mentality of Malaysians. Understand your frustration completely. You know, you should try some interesting methods to get them to follow your way. For instance, tell them you have to charge them if you go see them. Invoice them in the email too. You won't believe how FAST they start faxing their stuff to you. Or tell them you can pick it up a week from now. They'll post it to you then. The thing is to give them choices so paltry they'll do what you want. No point being harassed by silly folks. Just have to get them to see your 'way'.
I am all for what you said but sometimes bad habit dies hard.
Even or IT technician at work does not utilise the most of technology and in this day and age, we should really minimise paper use.c
Marsha Maung said…
maya, WOW! That's all I can say. Damn terror lah your ideas! Will definitely use them, esp the meeting one week later wan. I think they will definitely do it. charge them ah....will think about that one too. thanks, man!

clockwise, must try to maximize time lah! Must. People think work at home people got lot of time but it's actually the opposite that's true. work at home people LAGI got no time. so, if you office folks can claim petrol and say see 'client' never mind. we all cannot wor.

I don't print anything out unless it's necessary. all my stuff are filed in e-format, whatever format that may be.
Anonymous said…
I like maya's style of dealing with clients. Methinks I'm gonna pick up more than a few pointers here. ;)

Esp. this bit: The thing is to give them choices so paltry they'll do what you want. No point being harassed by silly folks. Just have to get them to see your 'way'.

So true.

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe