Skip to main content

Out in the outdoors chased by monkeys

Been indoors the whole day Monday. It’s public holiday for everyone else in Malaysia but since I celebrate thanksgiving along with the rest of the Americans (most of my clients are US based), I have to work. So, the kids, with their pent-up energy have been bugging me all day long.

You know, can’t remember the last time I went outdoors to the parks and all that wor. Sad, isn’t it? Don’t even have time to sit down on the toilet throne these days. How to go outside and enjoy the sun?

But finally, out of desperation to get the kids out of my hair, exited the house, bought two loaves of bread and a huge bottle of mineral water then headed out to nearby BIG park. We don’t have that many nice parks around in the country, actually, but this one is very well-maintained and complete.

Was surprised that there are additional visitors there now other than joggers, walkers, kids and old people doing tai-chi. Monkeys wor! Monkeys are very scary to me because they look an awful lot like us and yet they’re animals. So, me and the kids are tearing up pieces of bread to feed the birds, fishes and turtles in the pond. Enjoying ourselves as we watch the turtles fight with the fishes for the pieces of bread.

Unbeknownst to us, an army (AND I REALLY MEAN AN ARMY) of monkeys trooped their way out of nearby forest and into the park. They lounged around like they owned the park scaring the shit out of people and the kids. I heard monkeys bite, you know. Anyway, I didn’t realize all of that was happening because we were too happily feeding the tame animals.

Joshua and Jared turned their attention to the birds who realized that we had a lot of bread with us. Jared not very good with throwing far so he was throwing the bread at his feet and the birds had to hop their way nearer to us. We backed, Jared throws at his feet, birds hopped nearer, we backed, Jared throws at his feet again….etc. Suddenly, a bunch of monkeys realized that we had bread. I saw a huge monkey eye my plastic bag, Joshua and Jared holding HUGE pieces of bread and I froze.

“Throw the bread!”, I barked at my kids. The kids were frozen with fear and the crouching monkeys were eyeing us. As a couple of the monkeys started to run towards us, I slapped the bread out of Joshua’s hands, grabbed both of them and retreated into the crowd. One of them grabbed the fallen bread and ate it. The others kept advancing and the crowd of people started retreating behind me. I followed the monkey’s gaze and it was looking at Jared who was STILL HOLDING THE BREAD!

Gargh!!!!

I grabbed the bread and threw it into the crowd of monkeys behind and ran! Amongst the crowd, I looked back and saw all of them fighting with each other for the piece of bread. I dropped my huge bottle of mineral water when running for dear life and now I refused to pick it up….too near to the monkeys! A man asked me, “That’s your water, isn’t it?” I nod in bereavement….we’ll go thirsty for a while, never mind.

“I don’t dare to get it lor now” I, sheepishly, told him.

“I go get it for you, ok?”

Suddenly he looked like MacGyver to me! He retrieved my bottle of water for me unharmed. And I smiled a huge lovely smile at him and thanked him fervently.

Phew!

Anyway, despite the monkey incident, we had fun playing in the makeshift stream, the playground and just walking around in the park. Seeing smiling people and listening to kids laughing….sigh. We should do this more often.

But next time, I am going to bring a gun. I am gonna blardie shoot the monkeys!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cruel to laugh hor but as I am reading the part where you were frantically trying to get away from the monkeys put a funny picture in my mind.

What will you do without your son, the McGyver? :)
Jamie said…
kakakakaka...brought me back to the time when we were kids at Penang's Botanical Gardens where there were hoards and hoards of monkeys waiting to snatch things from visitors...HAHAHAHAHA

btw, my wifey acted the same way you did on the Pregnant Maiden Island outing during our Langkawi trip....kekekke
Anonymous said…
judy, you very bad, you know. he, very scared lah!!!! but looking back, it IS funny now lah. :-)

jamie, not funny when the monkeys were staring at me with glistening eyes shimmering with hunger. I can only imagine if they were hungry enough to...like....brr....dont want to think.
Anonymous said…
"Monkeys are very scary to me because they look an awful lot like us and yet they’re animals".

Marsha....hahaha...this is the funniest thing I heard in awhile! Long live Monkeys!

Killer guy

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe