Skip to main content

Malaysia's all talk and no do on recycling

Spent the weekend catching up on reading. Come to think of it, I've been so busy of late that I've missed out on reading completely. And it's one of those things that I love to do. The only reason why I have the time and opportunity to read this weekend is because I was upgrading my PC and you know how it is when you're working with programs, installing and uninstalling, cleaning up the computer and stuff....you're staring at the status bar.....staring and staring and staring. So, what I do? Grab a book and read lah! So, I was reading Reader's Digest (still my favorite book or mag!) and there was an article about recylcling and how the future generation would be swimming through piles of garbage by 2025.....etc. Being a responsible human and citizen, I started telling myself that I also have to start recycling all the beer cans, wine bottles, shampoo bottles, old clothes, broken sunglasses....etc. :-) But then you know what? I don't know where to go. The only time I actually see any sign or promotion of recycling is when I am shopping in 1 Utama or IKEA. I cannot very well carry my load there, rite? People think I am demented or something. So, where to take all that junk lah in this case? I went into the Internet and check but there's very limited information about how Malaysians can recycle....which is sad. We have Green Day and urgent calls to action about how to make the world a better place and how to recycle so that we don't waste earth's resources but no information. What the government needs to do is to make these information more available. It's not enough to just keep moving your jaw up and down so that the rest of the world thinks that we're doing something about making the world a better place. DO SOMETHING. Anything. I am sure some of us have also wondered how to recycle and all that and have come nose to brick with a wall of no information. I wonder if the newspaper's got anything on recycling, where the centers are, the numbers and do they have transportation and all that. I am more than willing to start the recycling process but where the hell do you think I should start? If you have information on that, please let me know. Appreciate it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I must be one of those demented ones because I actually drove with bags of empty bottles/cans in my boot from my place to send it to a recycling centre in Sect 17.

I was accumulating so many glass jars and plastic containers and couldn't find a nearby place to leave them that I got fed up and threw it out along with my garbage (but all nicely separated. I hope the garbage man could sell it). The only thing I could recycle regularly was newspaper because I could call the old newspaper man to stop by my place when they round my taman (he gave me his card!).

I think Alam Flora used to have a centre near Carrefour Subang where they will pay for your recyclable stuff. Dunno whether still there or not.
Acash said…
Just thought to let you know..
your old school mate is one of those people who is in this garbage/recycling industry. Yup, never thought I would get into it.

Just drop a note to say hi to you.
Glad that you are doing great - your kids looks great.

M.Ann

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe