Skip to main content

Tip for Working at Home: The One-Cup-Only Life Principle


You know how you start off with one cup of coffee in the morning. But then something happens mid-way, you’re distracted, and the cup of formerly-hot cup of coffee gets left on the table only to be discovered hours later colder than Canada.

The hours that follow, you’ve also made yourself a hot cup of chocolate when a guest whisks you away and the cup joins the formerly-hot cup of coffee on the table.

Image Source: Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

At the end of the day, you might end up with five cups of half-full, empty, stained, or full cups left unceremoniously on the table. What’s this got to with working from home, writing or doing anything official?



What if we all stuck to the one-cup rule for one day? Don’t make another cup of anything until you’re done with what you’ve made before? What if when you feel like drinking something warm, you down the earlier cup-of-something and THEN fix the new cup-of-something-new?

What I am trying to suggest is for us stick to our guns...even when we feel like we're losing ourselves in the shuffle.


Discard Dastardly Distractions

Many of us are easily distracted by surrounding things, and we end up not putting a bow on whatever we’ve started. The ability to see a project to its end or close a chapter of an aspect of our lives are enviable traits belonging to people who are often labeled buttoned-up, straight-laced, focused and disciplined. They don’t leave jam jars opened after using it.

Being distracted impairs our ability to complete tasks (that goes without saying but how easily we forget when we’re in the fray) and I am using the concept of One-Cup-Only because it makes sense. I am also looking at my younger son who holds the record of having the whole inventory of mugs in this house on his table. I have the same problem but to a lesser degree.

I think if we change this simple behavior, it will seep into other parts of our lives too, whether on a personal or professional level.


Habits Of Successful Humans

“This neural fast lane is meant to save the brain energy: When a habit is formed and stored in this region, the parts of the brain involved in deeper decision-making cease to fully participate in the activity"- https://www.success.com/16-rich-habits


In a way, this habit forces people to stave off procrastination. If the urge for a hot cup of cocoa arises at 11.30am and you still have a ¼ cup of morning coffee left on your table, the habit forces you to finish off what’s left in the cup (or toss it away) first before making a fresh cup of cocoa. By then, you’d have figured out if:

(a) you wanted the new cup of cocoa in the first place

(b) you will walk back to the table, grab the dirty cup, wash it and make a new cup-of-something
Say a “do it now” affirmation. This is a self-nagging technique. Repeat the words “do it now” over and over again until you begin a task or project. TomCorley

This makes me think about how people function in a high octane world. There are things to get done, people talking, emails being sent, appointments being made and deadlines to meet. We need to take a page out of successful people's playbooks.

I’ve read how successful people shy away from multitasking because they don't believe a conducive environment has distractions in it. So, they remain steadfast to the rule of picking one thing, and one thing only, to work on at any given time.

It’s easy to hasten the process, though. To perform tasks with half a heart, coming up with sub-par results because we want to get them over with. The trick is to engage in the task you’ve trained your mind on and not let go until you can say for sure you’re at least satisfied with it or you can deal with the result.

Saying “Do it Now” is really powerful for people like my son who likes to put things off because he (and I) sees things in large chunks. If we break things down into tinier pieces, it won’t seem as daunting not intimidating, and far more achievable. Chances of us “doing it now” arises significantly then.

Image source: Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

Triggering the Mentor Mentality

Some people find using apps as reminders useful and if it floats your boat, GO FOR IT! The most important thing is for it to help you move beyond both your own excuses and limiting self-beliefs. If there’s no one to push you to do things, kick your own ass. Better yet, set someone successful as an example.

Even if you don’t think you’re anywhere near as capable as the mentor in question, fake it with such aplomb that you subconsciously live in it. There’s a science behind it although I’ve never thrown my weight behind faking anything.

And it’s really not that difficult if you think about it. A vivid imagination is, however, required.

Use a trigger–a picture, a destination, a goal, a number in your bank account..whatever jolts you into action, use that. 

No Perfection Exists in this World

One of the biggest hurdles in this world is the concept of “perfection”. To me, it’s an illusion because perfection does not exist. While I can’t speak for everything else (balancing the bank account or designing a building DOES require perfection – you'll have to speak with an accountant, investor, a fund manager or an architect about how they deal with that).

As a writer, your own premature internal report and auditing will try to stop you from putting the first word onto paper. Writers don’t start with the perfect piece in their minds. They start off with just a basic idea. They then come up with a skeleton, build the foundation, do their research, write, rewrite, edit, rewrite, rewrite, rewrite, edit, rewrite, proofread, write, rewrite....before it is final.

And even then, there ARE imperfections! It frustrates the hell out of me but I am only human. Even automated apps like Grammarly and Prowritingaid have errors in them and it made me question whether an investment in their apps a wise at all. If an app can't perfect the polish, IS there perfection?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

So, don't allow yourself to do it either.

Start with Using One Cup at a Time

I am a work-at-home mother. You can call me Marsha Multitasking Maung. 😂 It isn’t because I think it is the best way to get things done, it’s because I am sometimes left with very few choices.

I’ve learned over the years that a checklist works wonders. Putting things down, either on paper or electronically, helped me zoom in on ONE THING (fine, sometimes two) and focus on getting it done. I clear my head of any other things that come my way, including my kids. I have on a face that my boys call the dangerous face. #lol I don't neglect them but they know when NOT to push my buttons.

When I am punching away at the keyboard with that face on and I hear them arguing in the background or complaining about a trivial problem, something HIGHLY unpleasant will happen when I get off that chair. #badmother 

Look, we're all trying to get things done, right? 😖

So, if you think this makes sense, you can start with One Cup Only if you don't already. 

Happy Saturday, everyone!
💓💓💓
Marsha


Further reading:

Note: If you find errors in this article, please email me and I will make the changes ASAP. I truly appreciate the look-out. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe