Skip to main content

Cooking: Many Trials and Tribulations

Trying to do some easy prep food and the last few times, I tried to pickle vegetables and reserve tofu and eggs. Success rate is so far around 70% but HOW did we live and survive without the Internet? LOL


1. Leftover rice

I don't know about other households but in this one, we try really hard not to waste food and we feel really good when we clean as many things up. These few months, I've got my MoJo back a little and not only are not wasting food (rice, especially) but also simple stuff like marinades and sauces. 👍

2. Microwaved chic breasts - Soy, Honey, Sriracha sauce

The chicken breasts were cooked in the oven beforehand and these are leftovers too but they were still good. All we needed was a bit of a re-cook and good sauce. Removed the chicken breasts and cut them into bite-sizes and placed aside. In the pan, remade the sauces with light soy sauce, sriracha and honey. Goddamn delicious. 

3. Steamed eggplants with chili and onions

I finally learned how to cut the eggplants in such a way that is REALLY bite-sized so that you can easily predict the steaming time. When you cut it the right way, you can set the steam time and they're squishy but still has a bit of bite. You make the sauce, mix it in, and there you have it, a good side dish.

4. Soy, tomato sauce, garlic fish cakes

Fish cakes absorb a lot of flavor depending on how you want it to taste and in this instance, I wanted it to be a little salty but mostly sweet and sour. I microwaved the fish cakes because I want consistency. Drain and dry. and set aside. In goes the garlic in the sauce pan (please prepare the sauce ahead of time so that you don't panic like I usually do), then add fish cakes and then later sauce. And that's it. Serve. 

5. Wood Ear Mushrooms cooked with Fish Cakes

Basic ingredients were garlic (stir-fried), mushrooms soaked or microwaved, dried, squeezed-dried for absorption) and placed into a clean, dry plate/bowl. 

  1. Prepped mushrooms (microwave or hot soaked and squeeze-dried)
  2. Prepped garlic
  3. Prepped fish cakes
  4. Heat oil -> Saute garlic -> 30 seconds
  5. Hit the fish cakes into the pan -> Toss -> Cover and Cook for 1 minute (maybe)
  6. Hit the mushrooms -> Add sauce -> Cover and Cook for 2 minutes
  7. Serve
I am not a professional cook but I think over the 20 years of feeding ourselves, I've learned a thing or two about heat demonstration and management. And in a household, a lot of us don't know about cutting techniques because we are not taught in elite schools...but we still need to feed people. Primitive, isn't it?

It was enlightening but I was told that I should learn how to cook recently and I think I should. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...