Skip to main content

Reborn Rich (2022) - Kdrama Review

I wasn't going to watch this despite being a Song Joong Ki fan because it looks like some heavy stuff was gong to roll out and I wasn't really in the mood for those kind of heavy mind-bending, scandalous, family-scheming storyline. 

But whoever came up with this idea must be a genius. The plot is simple enough - a loyal employee of a large conglomerate is framed for money laundering and was murdered. But he is reborn as the youngest son of the scorned born-out-of-wedlock and least powerful line-up of sons in the family that killed him.

He started the new life as an all-knowing, too-smart-for-his-own-good young man who knew more than his peers. This was fascinating to his family because they did not know that the young man's life is being lived by a 40-year-old man who will be killed off in the future by the same family he is now a part of. 

Some of the plots and sub-plots are lost on me because I have no knowledge or experience in mergers, takeovers, stock trading, money laundering (of course), running a business, holding shareholders' meetings, and, of course, making enemies with the people who live under the same roof as you. 

The script was written in such a way that things are explained in simple layman terms although if you're not a native Korean speaker and depend on the subs, you may have to pause once in a while to digest some of the stuff. 

Overall, it's understandable. If it was flying over my head, I ignored it and continued with the action that was going on on screen because it would eventually make sense, anyway. LOL

Everyone, every single actor and actress, in this drama performed so well! Sometimes they scream on top of their lungs, other times they throw dirty looks. And it wasn't too over-the-top. 

Song Joong Ki must have had an easy time playing his Jin Do Jun character because he already knew the future - what would happen when 9-11 happened, when the Korean football team got into the semi-finals of the revered World Cup, the Y2K scare, the dot-com boom, etc. He was smug because he knew it ahead of time and just had to play his cards right under a new company, Miracle Investment, he formed with the donut-loving financial expert he met in New York. 

Extra props given to:

Lee Jung Min for playing exceptionally well as Jin Yang Cheol, the founder of Soonyang Corporation. He's a veteran actor so, of course he's good; but the way he went from being cocky to shocked by the revelations of his first-hated youngest grandson to going mental because of the latter's actions. 

Kim Nam Hee as the Jin Seong Jun, the oldest grandson. He displayed a whole range of personalities while playing the same character. First he was the menacing and deranged Vice President who played a major role in killing off people, then he played a young version of himself who was in the running as inheritor of the corporations fortunes but lacking in everything from confidence to abilities. 

Kim Shin Rok as Jin Hwa Young. Who is this woman?!?! She's not even listed as a possible candidate to run the corporation because she is the only daughter in the household. But man, is this character deranged....she went from an entitled daughter in a rich family who did not fear anything to a meek father's little girl begging for help from her merciless father when she was under attack. 

Park Hyuk Kwon as Mason Oh. He is the donut-loving financial expert Jin Do Jun met in NYC; he is brilliant in playing the somewhat money-loving financial maestro who trusted his instincts when he met Jin Do Jun. Of course, he had no idea who the latter really is but his guts told him to work with the young man because he had something special. 

Park Ji Hyun as Mo Hyun Min. She was initially attracted to our main character but changed her mind and married the eldest grandson of the family as the leading lady of the family's third generation offspring. She didn't have to do much except to blend into the family and her surroundings. Play her part as a meek nobody who couldn't care less about the family's company affairs while egging on her weak husband from behind-the-scenes. She played her role well; cunning and conniving only when nobody is around. 

Tiffany Young as Racheal. I didn't expect much from Tiffany because...well...idol...SNSD...not much experience in acting. Thankfully, the role she was given suited her very well and she aced it. As the financial advisor of Jin Do Jun's Miracle Investment, she left an impression with me. At least, now, I don't just see her as the Primadonna of SNSD who always had to have that extra large, beautiful bow on her dress, she carried the weight as Rachael by delivering anxiety on-screen and gratification at triumphs. 

I know I left a lot of people out but these are the few standouts who should get some kind of award for their outstanding performances. I wanted to mention Jo Han Chul, Jo Hye Joo, Kim Do Hyun, and even Baro (who is listed under his real name Cha Sun Woo on Wikipedia) as people who deserve some kind of recognition for their performance but there is no space. 

In fact, I did not even list down the main character, Song Joong Ki, for playing both Yoon Hyeon Woo and Jin Do Jun exceptionally well. That's because I already know what he is capable of and this is not even a challenge for him. For him, I think this is under par. 

When it comes to Song Joong Ki, the bar is set really high, for me anyway, as a fan. LOL

For me, this is nothing. He can pull this off without pushing anything. It's just Joong Ki acting. Except for a few scenes; 

I cannot stand watching Song Joong Ki cry because I will start crying along with him. It's reaaallllyyyyy strange! I've asked myself a few times, why, why, whyyyyy? But when Joong Ki cried because he couldn't change the fate of his original mother, crouching in a corner in the restaurant his mom ran, holding onto her apron, and just letting it all out...I had to pause and close my eyes. 

VERDICT

Listen, I watched this series, 16 episodes, with some running well over the 1-hour limit, when I had COVID. I had nothing else I could do outside this room or condo. Watch it but set a limit for yourself. Don't watch more than 2 episodes at a time. 

Otherwise, you will feel like your soul is being sucked into a world that is not real. It's dramatic. Pace yourself and you'll enjoy the plot twists and knowledge gains in the process. 

4.9/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

XOXO,
Stay healthy & Happy, 
💕

Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe