Skip to main content

Movie: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Review)

4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

 Why I Watched It

Tony Leung. That was why I decided to watch Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings because I have no idea who this character is or was or will be. All I know is that I saw Tony Leung being interviewed on Youtube, and I thought...erm, OK, it's been some time since I watched him on the big screen, so, yeah, sure. 


And also, Fala Chen. She spoke about this on Instagram a while back when she was interviewed by 9gag, I think. 


Since I am a sucker for spoilers, I watched all trailers and as many footages of the movie before going. LOL. I want to know what I am in for. 


How It Went

Like...wow? Many people are suckers for bad-ass kungfu stuff (I also loved the Tai-chi parts) but I am NOT one of those. 


The movie was nicely-paced, considering it was an origin story that needed to paint the right picture for follow-ups. It told the story well. The audience had the time and breadth to FEEL, actually FEEL not just glimpse, the characters' emotions. 


Strangely enough, at some point, I didn't think I was watching a Marvel movie. I thought I was watching one of those old-school (but with much more pizzaz) Chinese-Hong Kong kungfu flicks that I am so used to.


The fight scenes are ones that I would actually watch again and again because they were so well-choreographed. The father-mother first scene, the bus scene, the scaffolding scene, the sister-brother scene, the middle scene, and the big CGI-filled showdown scene...they were all worth watching again and again. 


I find it funny to say it myself, a rom-com person.


Those who are not used to the craziness may find it a little too mad or even absurd, but we're used to it. You might even have had a taste of it from Jackie Chan, but yes, this is the kind of fast-paced, action-packed, gravity-defying, logic-flouting fun we're looking at. 


Tony Leung did not disappoint. I didn't mind that he's not even mean-MEAN like all the other bad guys in Marvel movies. I felt that he was relatable. I was even a little bit torn about wanting him dead. 


For the first time (as far I know, anyway), the Marvel lead had to hold his ground to remain the lead in the movie. All the characters were rootable, except for Razor Fist. Sorry, Florian Munteanu.  


Gripes

Err...what's Awkwafina doing? I mean, is she really necessary? Sorry if she's in the original comic series but I just felt she shouldn't even be in this. As an actor, she's over-used. 


My son actually turned to me asking, "Is she the voice for Raya's dragon?" Yes, son. Yes, she is. She's IN THIS ONE TOO. 


The final showdown was a marvellous masterpiece, but I felt it took some shine away from the actors' efforts. 


We, my kids and I, agreed that the funny moments were forced. Some critics were saying they appreciated the tiny bits of comedy. I disagree. I can live without it. 


I appreciated the one-liners injected into the script to correct some culturally incorrect perceptions about Asians or Asian-Americans.


At times, the CGI failed because some backdrops were kinda felt unnecessary. It could have been less fabricated, honestly. Not all, but some.


Should You Watch It?

Yes, I say! Absolutely. It's fun to watch something so out of this world real yet unreal, especially if you've grown up watching Chinese-Hong Kong films. This will definitely give you the picture of what happens when Hollywood teams up with traditional Wuxia filmmakers. 


It's a Marvel movie that did not feel like a Marvel movie and it's...REFRESHING AS HELL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe