Skip to main content

Saturday Weekend Roundup: December 7th, 2019

Image credit: Nong Vang on Unsplash
Image credit: Nong Vang on Unsplash

It's a Saturday again and the weekend is always my favorite days of the week. Any guesses why? 👵😜

So, what I am doing here today is I am going to share some of the stuff that I've discovered and saved over the week that I either found to be profound, enlightening, personal, or funny. So, here it goes!

Don't you like it that I always make an effort to keep things short and simple? #pleasesayyoudo

1. Post-trauma: It's not a disorder, it's a response

All of us respond to the things around us differently. Some see a spider and become afraid of them for the rest of our lives. Others get intrigued and figure out a way to capture them and keep them in jars as pets. It's all different from us.

Video: @lewishowes


"People walk around thinking that our condition as our identity. Instead, it's just that we've been through some shit and we apply it to our environment. We are stuck in something but the key is to becoming more flexible. We're stuck sometimes could mean we're dead about something. The nervous system makes us think that we're dead about our finances, dead about our personality, or dead about our love life".

2. You're Going to be Humbled. You've Got to be Humbled

The biggest amount of fear I felt was, without question, was when I was on my last mission to Ramadi and the feeling that you have, especially when you're in a leadership position is you're afraid something is going to happen to one of your guys. One of your guys is gonna get wounded or killed.

There's also the feeling that there's really nothing you can do to control that so you're beyond what you've already done which is what you've trained hard, you prepared hard, you've planned to the best of your ability, you've mitigated as much risk as you can. On top of all those things, you're at war. There's a chance that there's a bullet with your name on it.

The truth is that bullets don't have your name on it. Bullets say 'To Whom it may Concern' and I think if it's your day, it's your day - with Jocko Willink



A post shared by Inspiration and Business (@lewishowes) on

3. Yeah, I've done that

Things can be pretty shitty out there although not everything's negative. But the thing about me is that I am curious about things. If I see potential in something, I rarely hesitate to dip my toe into it and one of the things that has driven me since I was a young teenager was being on stage and wowing the crowd. There's a sense of power in that...and there's also the sense of powerlessness. Because let's face it, you can't control one person you're talking to face-to-face, much less in front of tens of thousands of people with very high expectations from you.

I've been through that and I have checked it off as 'been there, done that and now I know what to do'.

The first time performing in front of tens of thousands of people in a major concert in Sunway Lagoon. Picture courtesy of one of the band members who dug through his archive of pictures to find this. 


4. Something women can do and men can't

I found various versions of this video circulating through the internet and it was hilarious and befuddling at the same time! I'm sure you've seen it somehow on Facebook or Twitter but here's one to enjoy again.

Please don't break your neck trying to do it like the last guy! 😂



5. Countries in a Whatsapp Group

This is an oldie but a goodie. A cliche but wth, I saved it in my Facebook account just for a good giggle when I am stressed. Here's what happens (it's a spoof, alright?) when countries are in a Whatsapp group in a summit.



Anyway, Christmas and the end-of-the-year hols is coming up right around the corner and I hope you're all getting your shopping done and planning to spend some time with your 'annoying' family members and friends.

Regardless of your background, there's something ultimately joyful and celebratory about the Christmas season. It's when everyone's just happy about everything!


Happy Saturday, everyone!
Love,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe