Skip to main content

Celebs: Naughty by Nature

It took me long enough to write about it.

After all the #metoo moments, grand speeches, viral content, it took me THIS long to actually put my thoughts into words.

Like everyone else, I obviously have an opinion but it's kind of messed up.

These are the few questions that kept running through my head and I have yet to find answers for:
  1. Where's the line between flirting and being too aggressive?
  2. Where's the line between having some innocent fun with the opposite sex and soliciting or being promiscuous? 
  3. Is touching no longer permitted, regardless of gender, unless outright permission is sought?
  4. When will we ever shred the excuse of 'boys will be boys' into one million pieces?
  5. How do we educate our daughters, the women of the future, about their worth lies beyond their looks?
  6. How do we educate our sons that women are not sexual objects?
  7. Where's the line between privacy and personal protection?
  8. Will we ever just have fun for the sake of fun again without being subjected to possible violations and accusations?
Despite being a little bit (well....maybe quite a big feminist...lol), I am highly conscious of the fact that I, ironically, am raising two men. Men of the future and I am always highly aware of their takes on this topic.

Being men, they, obviously, have a slightly different opinion from mine; I listen and mentally weigh them very carefully.

I also take into consideration the good ole times of being able to flirt with the opposite sex and harmlessly walk away either feeling accomplished, proud, or embarrassed without having to content with the major repercussions of public humiliation that is sadly too common today.

It's one thing to be 'naughty' and 'reckless' when you're young but it's quite another to be mean and disrespectful. BOTH men and women should be allowed to naturally communicate in jest lightly with each other even if there's a sexually suggestive undertone.

That's called growing up or finding your footing.

Being mean is another story.

Although I don't encourage being promiscuous, if someone decides to live this kind of life, they should be able to do it without being judged. We are in no position to superimpose our own principles on others.

While I was sitting calmly on the fence about the whole #metoo movement while contemplating the best ways to we, on a personal level, should deal with this new phenomenon, two things exploded in the media and this draft was dragged out of its sedentary folder.

This is nothing new in real life but what really bothers me is the fact that they're obnoxiously bold about their actions, and their dignities and rights as a human being were subsequently thrashed. 

Jacqueline Wong is young, pretty, and some say talented. She's hot stuff that any man, when she throws herself at you, would find it more than a little hard to resist. She grew up in a society that is completely different from the more traditional and conservative Asian culture. Even if she is loose with her actions, she has to bite the bullet and learn the lesson. 

I might still be a fan of Andy Hui now despite his despicable actions, but I've ditched my adoration for Jung Joon Young after reading the contents of the group chats. 

While Andy Hui came clean almost immediately after he was caught, I doubt Jung and his friends' actions can ever be forgiven because they showed the world a very non-human, vile and unconscionable side of men.

If you have a human heart, you would never have toyed with the women's bodies the way they did. And even if they did it because the women were willing, they joked about raping women and considered them toys, awards, and accomplishments. 

This is no different, I am sure, from locker room talk and what happens in reality. Let's not be naive about this - it is happening everywhere even as you're reading this, whether you're in the Big Apple or in a small village in Africa. 

Some women do it because it's the only way to survive in a very rigid, patriarchal society and industry. It's hard to condone the act but it's not my life and I leave that decision to them and their loved ones. 

But for the guys in Jung's chatroom, none of them spoke up or felt a single tinge of pity for the women. In a world where physicality is your only weapon and protection, they've shown so little humanity that it is hard to imagine them ever coming back to the entertainment industry. 

They did it because they knew they could get away with it. They knew it was wrong but did it anyway because the victims were disarmed, desperate and helpless.

I would argue their actions to be no less than those preying on the helpless; hence, heartless. 

As humans, we are different from other animals on the planet because of our ability to be compassionate and kind. 

It's repulsive because they've shown the world what humans are capable of when they're nothing more than just beasts in human form. 

I asked a wise man, "Tell me sir, in which field could I make a great career?" He said with a smile, "Be a good human being. There is a huge opportunity in this area and very little competition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...