Skip to main content

Mission : Reboot Malaysia

For me, it started the last election, or to be more precise, BEFORE the last election. It was when I realized that I had the power to make changes in this country and we have all been living in this self-induced indifference all these while. 

We've, people like me, have never voted despite having the chance to. We've been marginalized and sidelined for as long as we've known but we've also accepted it as fate. You don't have to take it from me, take it from Jennifer Pak on BBC with her piece on Will Malaysia's Brain Drain Block Its Economic Ambitions?


Seeking Open Doors Where Doors Would Open

Because of the very scary racial clashes of May 13, 1969, which people of my parent's generation continue to 'fear' and 'mentally block out', people have generally looked away whenever there was injustice and accepted it as their deck of cards.

We just have to work very hard, harder than everyone else, to move away and make our livelihood 'somewhere else'. Sometimes, that translates to 'anywhere else'.

It doesn't make us very Malaysian, I know, but that was what it was. We no longer wanted to fight with the majority and suffer a consequence that we could have prevented if we just looked away and kept our noses on the grindstone.

The good part of looking away was the fact that Malaysia has educated us well and was generally accepted as truly hard-working, well-educated people who didn't take opportunities for granted. We had much to contribute, if not for our own country, for other countries. And many other countries took our talents without hesitation while our own country snubbed us.

Thanks for educating us, and then propelling us forth looking for people who would open a door for us, because it is this that helped us open not just doors, but seeing eyes.

In a lot of ways, Malaysians were homeless talents who were aided by people who saw what we really were made of. Much more than the government gave us credit for.

So, What Changed the Malaysian Political Landscape?

Leaders who were becoming arrogant, self-entitled, made no bones about sidelining our next generation (our children - this is the X spot for this generation that the government should not have held hostage) as well, thought of themselves as invincible, and closed all inroads to improvements demanded by the people they were meant to serve.

They have forgotten their place on this planet. In my personal opinion, it's never a good idea to forget where you came from no matter how far you go in life.

This, of course, brought on the ire of the very people who the government have forgotten about - those who fought so hard to survive while being sidelined. They've forgotten that because of biased policies, it has made us harder than steel. We've become diamonds. Mere weeds to the people of power, but overlooked and underestimated gems in the rough. We were shackled but hardy and very scrappy.

The M Factor

But we can only go so far with our urban votes. As shown in the result of our General Elections in 2013, the reaches of urban voters had its limitations. Malaysia is made of our other counterparts as well. We needed to unite with others who were fence-sitters, who were suffering silently, who saw nothing but hopelessness, to encourage them to come forth and make their stand, to tell them that the time is ripe.

Thanks to the power of a 93-year-old man who was already in his retirement, the people were persuaded.

I am no Mahathir fan because he can be ruthless during his younger days. Some (himself included) would have called him a 'dictator' or an 'authoritarian'. He would not hesitate to make a move if he thought the move was right. You can argue that he had resolve, he had the guts or you can say that he is a stubborn. He definitely would not hesitate to put hammer to gravel if he thought it warranted so.

Like many, I was suspicious about his motives. With a cocked eyebrow, I thought about what more did a man like him want? He didn't have to come forth again. He had the money, the fame, the name and he quit the game while ahead. I argued internally with myself for the entire campaign period and can only come up with a few reasons - two of which were that he loved this country and he hated what Najib was doing.

It was, honestly, shocking for me to see his former adversaries accepting, forgiving and welcoming him. They were ready to ditch their party flags, set aside their own personal and party principles to come together with this former-PM to bring down a regime. It was shocking because I wasn't ready. Hands were shaken, alliances were formed, agreements were reached, and targets were set.

It struck me that if people who were jailed by him were ready to move on, who am I to not do so? He may not have been perfect but he was our only hope. We've seen how close we could come in 2013 but it wasn't close enough. We needed the X-Factor and THIS could be it.

Setting Sights on Rebooting the Country

The questions is then - do we want to reset this country? If we want to, this is what we've got to do. We've to set our sights on the bigger picture, the country. This former Prime Minister was willing to be used as a tool to bring as many people together as possible, are we willing to use him?

So, together with my other urban, suburban and rural voters, we've united under ONE flag, abandoning our own agendas for a while, and set our sights on that reboot button.

And we did it, Malaysia. We did it and I am so proud. I don't know where we go from here but we are going somewhere better instead of on a downward spiral.

Malaysia is finally a proper democracy.

Credit:-
1. BBC
2. Wikipedia
3. Art Harun, Free Malaysia Today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe