Skip to main content

Feminism & Cooking : Spice-ly Sweet Pork Ribs


Traditionally, women are expected to 'stay at home' or 'be kept in the kitchen'. This discriminatory law falls under an umbrella of feminist movements which includes everything from fights for maternity leave to equal pay. It traditionally saw women trying to mow their way out of the kitchen and ditch their needles and threads.

The movement was started by women from the middle or upper class who got the chance to education but faced discrimination in the working world where men were more welcome and women's skills were snubbed.

A Generational Funk
And that is why for generations, mothers (and aunts and fathers) kept their little girls out of the kitchen if they had a chance to study or find work. Work in the kitchen was an unceremoniously demoted status of life.
And that’s why she didn’t want my sister and me to spend our time in the kitchen. She wanted us to put our energy into learning everything she never had the opportunity to experience - Yeganeh Rezaian, The Lily
My generation of women is educated. In Malaysia and other former British-colonies, we often speak and write so much English that it continues to surprise some people from other countries, especially some of our Asian counterparts. English is a part of our normal school curriculum while extra tuition or special classes are needed in other countries.

Thanks, Britain!

More Men in the Kitchen than Women
There are more men in the boardroom than there are women, this goes without saying, although I sometimes wonder why in this modern day and age.

But the funny thing is that there are also more men IN THE KITCHEN than there are women.

Where....are....all....we...women, then? Although, I note that there is a rise in the number of female Michelin Chefs. (About time we bloody wrestle the apron back, lol, jk, no butthurt, please)

Ambitious Women Don't Work With Ovens
The kitchen is reserved for the matronly, motherly, the ones who provide the band-aids and who kiss your bruises. These are not the kind of women you want making top corporate decisions.

Hence, the perception that women who are good in the kitchen are not ambitious enough to not just climb the corporate ladder, but to kick ass (in general, you know). They're also conventionally known as people who don't like to fire people. Is that a bad thing? I don't know.

I would argue that people who are good in the kitchen are exceptional people, especially when the heat is on. Pun intended.

Do you know how many things you mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother had to juggle just to put food on that table? On top of ensuring that the heat is on 'high for 10 minutes' and then 'low medium for 2 hours', she had to put together a grocery list, decide what to cook, cut things up, find ingredients, don't burn the pot (or the kitchen), stir, fry, stew, bake and then wash, wash...and then WASH.

That's a whole lot of stress every day. She didn't even have a Gordon Ramsay crew with her! Just one person.

Not Everyone Love To Cook, Of Course
Although I love experimenting with different recipes all the time (well, I kind of have to, like I don't have a choice here), it's still hard work. It's work on top of my work. But I found a system that runs for me and things are a little smoother now.

But I like cooking.
One of those professional goals has always been to write for an audience. Cooking helps me expand on that ambition, giving me a new subject to write about - Elite Traveler
I love feeding my family. And then I love sharing stuff because it worked for me. Sans gloating, I just want people to go ahead and try it for themselves because it's worked for me.

It's like...try it, really, it worked for me and I hope it works for you too, and share the sh-t around, please! It's not about the credit. It's about making people happy just from one little-shared story...what with the internet nowadays and all.

So, we've come one whole circle to what I wanted to share today right from the start. LOL.

Spice-ly Sweet Slow Cooked Pork Ribs
The link above will take you to a printable Cookpad recipe page if you want to print out the thing. Otherwise, here it is.

Have fun! 
Love,
Marsha

I made a mix of spices based on another recipe but had leftover of spice mix. I CAN'T throw it away when it's perfectly good! So after thawing out some pork ribs, I had to do something with the leftover spice. Waste not, want not. And here it is, a spice-ly sweet pork rib dish? Because the measurements are only an estimate, adjust according to taste. Mix together the measurements, have a taste (yes, the dry mix) before marinading or mixing it together with the raw pork, and then dump it all together in the slow cooker and you're good to go. You can actually add carrots, root vegetables or capsicum/bell peppers into it.

Spice-ly Sweet Slow Cooker Pork Ribs


Ingredients

3 servings
  1. [Marinade]
  2. 1 tbsp oil
  3. 10 pork ribs
  4. 1.5 tsp paprika
  5. 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  6. 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  7. 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  8. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  9. 1/4 tsp ground cloves (optional - did not use it)
  10. 1/2 tsp ground cardomom
  11. 1 pinch saffron
  12. 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  13. 1 tsp garlic powder
  14. 1 tsp ground coriander (optional - did not use it)
  15. to taste salt, sugar and pepper
  16. [To Cook]
  17. 1 medium onion, sliced
  18. 1/2 can tomato paste
  19. 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
  20. 1 tbsp oyster sauce
  21. 1 tsp mushroom/chicken seasoning (optional)
  22. 1 cup water/vegetable broth
  23. 2 tbs honey
  24. 1 tbs corn starch + 2 tbsp water = slurry
  25. Method

    1. MIX the spices above, taste-test and MARINADE pork ribs for 20 minutes or more
    2. Place marinated pork ribs into slow cooker, TOPPED with sliced onions and water
    3. ADD the rest of the ingredients from the 'To Cook' section, SLOW COOK on low for 4 to 5 hours.
    4. SERVE with rice and some vegetables or ready vegetables like sliced cucumbers or lettuce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe