Skip to main content

Eats : Gangnam Oppa BBQ

I've, of course, seen this place many times before because...well, the name is so tacky it's hard to miss. But because it was tacky, I didn't even give it a chance. I want authentic, not commercialized things made for the Malaysian taste buds.

Located in Uptown near Starling Mall (or where our childhood road-long mamak used to be), Gangnam Oppa BBQ looked comfy and chic from both the inside and outside.

In fact, I've eaten Korean BBQ many times over in Uptown, but at the restaurant BEHIND this row. It looked far simpler and more authentic from the way I saw it. But I bought a food deal from Fave (formerly Groupon) app and RM55 for 2 person's worth of BBQ sounds like a good deal! All I need to do is to order something extra for me. My boys can devour all the protein they want from the BBQ portion. I have to agree that Asians are such cheapskates. LOL

Delicious marinaded Korean BBQ pork for 2 persons
The downside - the inside of the restaurant was already full so, we ended up sitting outside without the air-conditioning and also a little distance away from where they were barbecuing the meat for its patrons.

Side dishes for your conventional Korean BBQ meal
The owner is a Korean lady who oozes with charm, was helpful, full of hospitality and went out of her way to ask us if our food was OK. That's always a plus for me. If the food sucked, the restaurant or cafe can often make up for it by being a good host.

The deal came with either canned soft drinks, soju and other alcoholic drinks. Dayem why did I come with my kids??!!! LOL.

The Korea staple - Bibimbap
I've made bibimbap myself and have eaten it many times over in other restaurants but the bibimbap here fell a little short. Did I miss some sauce that we're supposed to pour into the rice? And also...where's the lettuce for my wrap? They did not provide any like other typical Korean BBQ restaurant. By the time I wanted to ask for some, the meat was almost gone...well...who needs lettuce anyway? lol

I should have taken a picture of the kimchi stew because it was fawesome! Every time I walked past the owner, I couldn't help giving her the 'thumbs up' while whispering 'kimchi jigae'. She just smiled and nodded shyly. My kimchi-loving 2nd son and I slurped up every drop of the stew.

I think RM55 for 2 person's worth of BBQ is worth the deal. If you convert this into USD, that would be $14 for 2 persons. And it comes with a stew, a new-to-me type of potato pancake (it looks like french fries stuck together - lol), meat and soju/beer/soft drinks/rice wine.

Worth trying!

GangNam Oppa BBQ
G-Floor
No 23, Jalan SS21/60
Damansara Utama
47400 Petaling Jaya
Tel: 03- 7335 5251

Now, let me continue scouring the Internet for more food deals. I'm on the roll. hahahaha

Love,
Marsha

Note : Not sponsored, not an ad. I will clearly state so if it is. This is just my personal opinion of a place that I have been to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...