Skip to main content

The World in Need of Nerves of Steel

Man, how in the world did the world end up the way it is right now? I am not just talking about what's happening in the Middle East, in Europe, in America...but also right here on our home ground. While America and Europe have long been recognized some of the world's most peaceful democracies (of course, there are underlying problems hidden, there is no country in this world that does not) but the discourse has never been this upfront before. Not as far as I can remember.

I have, in fact, failed to bookmark many news artifacts, newsflashes, breaking news, twitter updates, ICYMIs and Facebook reports because...I lost it. No, I did not lose the articles, I meant my marbles. 

An open discussion forum was bamboozled by people throwing their flip-flops and flares on stage towards our former Prime Minister and although people were, eventually, caught and arrested for their participation in the chaos, it still bears the question of how they became so emboldened.

Sure, we had the occasional whacko come up with coconuts in hands and waving bamboo sticks in the air claiming the preposterous idea being able to locate missing flights and we've had our politicians internationally stripped bare (and still standing tall, mind you) about reported misdeeds, but Malaysians can easily be placed into a few categories:-
  1. The IDAF anymore group. Generally perceived as a group of people who have, more or less, given up on everything Malaysian and have a laser beam focus on working towards a better future
  2. The politically-active
  3. The privileged I-will-kill-your-family-and-and-the-next-few-generations-if-anyone-challenges-my-right-as-the-privileged
  4. The I Care But. These are the ones who mind their own businesses, go about their daily lives but have a layer of frothing lava waiting to burgeon the moment they are pushed too far. 
  5. The crazies. They live for the excitement for any kind of commotion. Malaysia is too peaceful and there are too many easy push-overs. Push them. 
  6. The giver-upper. They generally DGAF and don't have the time, money and resources to actually GAF. Genuinely. 
  7. The Migrator. They care about what happens to the country and fellow Malaysians but...let's migrate first. We'll care from afar. 
  8. The WTF. These are people who truly, genuinely and earnestly do not know WTF is going on in Malaysia, the world and the Universe in general
Credit: Virginia Kent (Flickr)

I believe that I am not the only one to be befuddled with the sheer number of rape cases, especially incest, being brought up on a daily basis here, and although North Korea's rhetoric and online spat with America is, at the moment, soothed by NK's retraction of their threat to send a missile over the skies, sea or land near (or ON or AT - I mean, who knows with that guy?!) Guam, it seems that a different kind of Civil War could be brewing under the surface of America's democracy. The Anne Frank Center also says that Trump's American is looking more and more like pre-WWII Germany, and it's frightening that there are more than 152 million people who are dislodged in this world, the number being larger than the population of Russia. 
the Southern Poverty Law Center reported...more than nine hundred active (and growing) hate groups in the United States - The NewYorker
115 million people lack basic health services, 94 million lack water and sanitation services, and 34 million lack access to education. - One.org
You know what? Maybe what we need is a little bit of this....

A post shared by Live Openly and Expansively! (@travelledpaths) on


Been around the world and I, I, I
I can't find my baby
I don't know when, I don't know why
Why he's gone away
And I don't know where he can be, my baby
But I'm gonna find him
(kindly replace 'baby' with 'peace of mind')
All Around the World - Lisa Stanfield)


Love,
Marsha

Credit : 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe