Skip to main content

World of Blurred Lines

The lines are so blurred in the world that we live in. The internet has changed things so much and culture have veered us into a path that we never knew could exist before. But maybe it is because we were not so often exposed to such diversities. Our world consists of getting on the bicycle or bus to get to school, playing with your friends after school and then going home for dinner with your family.

That was it.

But the world that my kids live in today is so different from my childhood days. I am sure my parents will say the same thing about their world and mine.

I remember an altercation that occurred with my kids quite a few years back, maybe 5 or 6 years ago when Youtube was a thing but not the norm. Believe me, if you took a look at a normal teenager's life today, Youtube is a huge thing for them, especially if they are into gaming. I argued (and will continue to argue) that Youtube cannot be the norm, you need an organization to govern and monitor it, otherwise, it will be out of control. Not everybody can be a celebrity just because they have a camera, Wifi and a Youtube account. Then everybody is a celebrity.

In my world, this cannot happen. There will be chaos. My kids wanted to be Youtubers back then and I said it was impossible. That those crazy screaming kids who are uttering complete nonsense and creating unnecessary drama with foul language and caustic actions cannot be celebrities. One good example, PewDiePie and gosh, how I loathe this person (till this very day). He is a Swedish self-proclaimed comedian who makes enough money off his internet account to put you and I to shame today.

And yet, these internet celebrities DO make money off their Youtube, Facebook and Instagram accounts and companies DO sponsor them and they DO get invitations to red carpets.

Its funny, though, despite how much I despise PewDiePie, I still follow him on Twitter as well as other young internet people like Ryan Higa also known as NigaHiga and Lilly Singh who is also known as Superwoman on various social media sites...just to follow what is happening on the internet today. It's a strange world. LOL. In fact, I also follow Dominic Sandoval @ dtrix and of all people Skrillex too. I mean, like.... what am I doing with my life?

The fact is that the world has changed so much and to people my age, it is a freak show...but to the people of today, it's the norm. I think there will come a time when we have to accept the fact that the young people of today will change the world even further and we have to just deal with it. The norm is no longer the same norm.

Here are some things that have caused the blurring of lines between the norm that I knew and the norm of today.
  • we have youtubers vs. Hollywood/Bollywood/Kdrama/TVB celebrities
  • we have blogs, websites vs. real magazines
  • we have e-books vs. books
  • we have online games vs. board and real life games
  • we have assumed personalities vs. real personality social media accounts
  • we have Facebook vs face to face
  • we have Instagram vs. photographers
  • we have blogs vs. diaries
  • music streaming sites vs. radios
  • we have Facebook short films vs. documentaries and movies
  • phone call vs. Skype call
  • feminine looking men, and male-looking women (read: kpop and jpop and fashion, in general)
  • we have transgenders and bis
What have I missed? I guess it is the same feeling my grandparents and parents felt when I told them that I could make money without leaving the house. lol

Feeling old,
LOL,
Marsha

Image found using Google, leading to this page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe