Skip to main content

Book: The Heist (Janet Evanovich + Lee Goldberg)

I am a fan of Janet Evanovich. I had no idea who Lee Goldberg was.

OK, that's out of the way. People who read Janet Evanovich's books are surely fans of Stephanie Plum, the clumsy and sometimes smart bounty hunter who keeps getting into trouble and finding herself in seemingly impossible situations and yet, somehow, manages to triumph over evil.

Evanovich is no stranger to co-writing stories with others and I have read a couple of them. Can't remember which but they are sitting somewhere on my bookshelves and I am not up to pulling the books out one by one. Each of those co-writing projects are good because it gives the stories and the writing a different feel.

With The Heist, I think the 'co-writing effect' is so much more obvious because it reads like a movie. A film that you can conjure up in your head, all by yourself.

The usual way Janet Evanovich writes is to write it so that we can see things from the protagonist's point of view. We don't see what we are about to see until the protagonist sees it for herself. With The Heist, it's like what you would see on a movie screen.

OK. I will illustrate. This is hard.

Novel Style
Jane walks across the bridge. Bridge is shaking and she knows she is about to fall off. She looks up and sees Jack on the other side of the bridge, hanging off a vine. She sees him swooping in and made a grab for his hand and they safely on the other side of the bridge. Jack tripped upon landing and Jane knocked her head on a huge arse rock. He quickly carries her to his car and rushes her to the hospital.

Movie Style
Jane walks across the bridge. Jane finds herself waking up from the inside of a car, dazed and confused about what happened. *flashback* *minutes before* Jack, the handsome sidekick flew in Tarzan-style, hanging off a vine, and swooped her off her feet but carelessly, he knocked her head on a big arse rock and she was knocked unconscious.

Not that I am complaining because it is extremely fun and exciting to follow the adventures these people take on.

Instead of having a sexy but clumsy female protagonist as the main character, we have FBI agent, Kate O'Hare, who is all seriousness, supremely kick-assy, don't take shit for answers, will break your skull if she doesn't get her way. She will defy her own limits to find, track down and bring behind bars, Nicolas Fox, a handsome conman who is extremely smart and have managed to outsmart Kate O'Hare by nano-seconds in the past. She makes it her life mission to sneer at him from the other side of a jail cell.

Nicolas Fox, on the other hand, is not muscled-up, armed and dangerous nor is he a nasty character with toilet-mouth. He is a smooth criminal. I can only think of 'Face' of The A Team. He knows he is good looking, he knows he is intelligent, he knows people get hurt when they fight so he finds ways to get other people to fight each other instead, while he gets away with the big stuff.

So, you have a She-Woman who knows guns like the back of her hand and she's got access to explosives. And then we have smooth guy who works his face like nobody's business.

The story is fine and I loved it all although I wished Kate would really soften up a little towards the end but there were a couple of things I would like to note. The other characters. Too many of them with unnecessary roles and touch-and-go character development. In fact, the way the couple found their 'team members' and convinced them to join up with their massive scheme was very movie-y (I don't care it's not a word - LOL). It would be better if there was more time spent on them.

I guess it is because the story line is very big and it stretches the canvas across several nations (some fictional ones too) and using many tricks which would have made it a good movie made it that way. You know what, if it is already a movie, I would want to watch it. It's just extravagant like that.


Only after finishing the book did I read the first page of the book which says...

'Lee Goldberg is a screenwriter, TV Producer, and the author of several books, including King City, The Walk, and the bestselling Monk series of mysteries. He has earned two Edgar Award nominations and was the 2012 recipient of the Poirot Award from Malice Domestic.'

Oh. I see.

Have a great weekend, ok?

XOXO,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe