Skip to main content

The Way Malaysians and Everyone Else Sees Obama's Words

President of the United States have said it. He have acknowledged the fact that discrimination exists in Malaysia. Not because he is God or that he can solve any of the oppression that we have endured or have had to live with, he can't. Nor is he in the position to make the change himself.

Only WE can do that.

It doesn't mean that he heard you whining. It doesn't mean he has read your blog. It also does not mean that he have personally seen your desperate tweet, exasperated Facebook update or us lamenting about injustice and unfairness. So, why does it mean so much to us, anyway? He has all but said a couple of words and then had his really lavish meal and went back into his equally lavish hotel room only to board his luxurious Air Force One back home to the United States.

It is all back to square one, isn't it? We are back to being oppressed, aren't we? Nothing's changed. Bah, humbug.

And I know of some Americans who will say 'Yeah right, listen to Obama talking about something that continues to exist in your own backyard. People rotting away everywhere, nothing's been done and everything sucks....' but you know what?

Try living here for a year. Try as a local. Try as a non-Muslim. I want to see what you have to say when you have to pay extra for everything, you can't get into certain institution because you're not a certain race, you can't get start a business without XXX, you basically have to tolerate stuff that you usually have a say about back in America.'

I know Americans are very vocal about stuff. Try being unfair to one and you'll have your ass shot up to a black hole somewhere in the galaxy. Or another galaxy. Really. Try being unfair to an American, I wanna watch. Try saying something like 'You're white, so, I won't be serving you with your burger' or 'You're black, you ain't having none of my home-made cookies.' or 'Sorry, we don't do business with Hispanics, American or not'.

Try seeing it in bold, written words. Try seeing it everyday. Try seeing this in a large banner in a public space.

'Apples for sale. $5 for white people. $75 for black, everyone else $50'

It's legal, by the way. And also, to make the picture even clearer, it is in our CONSTITUTION.

Well....this is Malaysia, thank you very much. Now do you still feel like complaining?

Malaysia's been this way since 'independence' too and we basically don't say anything. Yeah. That's right. We don't say ANYTHING. We tolerate it, can you Americans believe this? LOL! Is it ludicrous enough for you yet?

At the end of the day, there is one short sentence in the speech that I hope will stay.
""There shouldn't be reason to discriminate, and you have to make sure that you are speaking out against this in daily life."
He may not have personally changed the Malaysian constitution or the way Malaysia is, he is essentially saying that he is very aware of our plight. He has heard about our collective fight. He is aware of it.

I am very very happy that he did not just leave us with a COMPLETE blank.

Oh sure, I know President Barrack Obama is not God and that whatever he says doesn't have to stick but coming from the President of a country that fought one of biggest racial confrontations known to mankind, I think it means something. To me, at least. It is an encouragement to trying. Keep trying to bring about a positive change.

So, thank you for going that far for us,
With much gratefulness,
Marsha



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe