Skip to main content

Teamwork Requires Selflessness

I recently experienced a very disturbing, unethical and disheartening experience with a friend. It has been more than a month now and till this day, I have great difficulty saying anything about it. Only the friends that I am close with or working with know about this and even then, I have avoided naming the person who have hurt me.

I have trust issues and if there was anything I could derive out of this episode, it is that I have found a way out of this issue.

This person have communicated to me that there are friends who are not friends...they are feeding their ego even when you are genuine in helping them. He was in a financial rut (so he says, I have no way to confirm this) so, I genuinely hired him. It was all genuine and I had no idea what was going through his head.

In my profession, the worst thing you can ever do is to plagiarize. This is a huge NO for me! I mean, it is wrong to copy from anyone in ANY industry, no?! Please correct me if I am wrong. Unless your job is to copy, that is. But in this case, I did not hire him to copy other people's work.

It was a huge letdown mainly because I trusted him. I put aside all the uncomfortable things that he have said to me and entrusted him with my work. But he thought it was OK to sledgehammer me to the side of the head.

For the month after the confrontation, I have asked myself where I went wrong. I can't fix his laziness and unethical beliefs but I want to know what made it easy for him to karate kick me. I want to fix that. I want to fix me even when he does not want to fix his attitude. So, while fixing all the damage that he has done to me (trust me, all the stuff that went out, I had to go after them and fix all of that), I reflected and asked myself if I should stop trusting people.

Being a Leo, loyalty is very precious to me. It will take me forever to commit to anything (it used to be easier to earn my loyalty. Life taught me well) but when I do, I want to know I am in this for the long haul. I want to give you everything I have to give without asking anything back in return except for your genuine commitment and care.

What this has taught me is that I need to be more selective, base my decisions on ability and sincerity, not just sympathy. I am not the charitable organization that I sometimes can behave like. I need team members and not people who talk cheap, are egoistic and manipulative. I need team members who can communicate openly with me.

Team members who understand, can see, and have the same desire and concern for the well-being for the team. Team members who see me not as a 'boss' but a leader who is in the same boat with them. Team members who will not bail on me, will admit mistakes, nor will they compromise the work of the other team members.

Team members who sees the whole big picture.

So, should I stop trusting others? Nah. I have learned this lesson well and know what to look for when recruiting people into my team, not just because you are in a hard place and I am here to offer you a rope. You are in a hard place, so am I! Who isn't?! I am not going to allow you to jeopardize everyone else with your selfishness.

Teamwork requires, if nothing else, selflessness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...