Skip to main content

Reaching Out For Help When The Road Gets Rough



By Charlie Tranchemontagne

“Pain is not a sign of weakness, but bearing it alone is a choice to grow weak.” ~Lori Deschene

There was a time in my life when I struggled to share my pain. I actually took great pride in how stubborn I had become. It wasn’t until I started looking within myself that these prideful attitudes started to shift. Actually, my whole life started to change.

Once I started my journey of self-discovery, I no longer wanted to deal with my pain by myself. I slowly reached out to others and asked them for help.

It was in asking for help and sharing my pain with others that I felt myself getting stronger.

I didn’t expect, however, that I’d need to ask for help repeatedly.

In August of 2006, I was with a small group of people inside a airplane hanger that was used as a classroom to give instruction for skydiving. Worn-out couches and old beanbag chairs formed  a circle where we gathered. The décor on the walls was something you’d find in a local head shop that sold 60’s and 70’s paraphernalia.

A positive vibe filled the room, as a young instructor prepped us on the safety procedures needed for jumping out of the plane.

It had been sixteen years since I had made my first jump. When I shared this information with the instructor, she asked me, “What took you so long to come back?”

I didn’t respond out loud, but simply smiled. I wasn’t brave enough to explain why I had come back this time.

Initially, I jumped in the fall of 1990 as a way for me to turn my life over to  a higher power; that jump marked the beginning of my inner journey.

CONTINUE READING

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...