Skip to main content

Parents' Goals A Beacon For The Kids

As I sit there, lovingly wrapping my new books, my son asks me 'Is that your book?'. I replied, 'Yes, it is', smiling at my new 'catch'.

He excitedly jumps up and exclaims happily, 'You finally wrote a book?!' I shook my head sadly, 'No, silly. I did not. This book was written by someone else'.

He furrowed his brows in disappointment, 'But I thought you said that you were going to create your own story, write your own book?'

That's right. I did.

His obvious disappointment in the news that I have AGAIN not written and completed a book sheds light on how my decisions, my life, the way I see things affects the kids. The kids don't just get happy when they get to go to Disneyland. Yes, they're happy if they get to do the things that they want, find joy in everyday activities and stuff like that, more importantly, their parents' level of happiness and achievements affects them too.

It gives them joy when we set goals and achieve them. By not achieving our own goals, the children might think that they themselves are obstacles to these goals. Through our own positivity and willingness to lunge at every possibility in life, we show the kids that we can be happy. The kids are not anchors, they're our fierce cheerleaders as well.

The same way we worry about our kids and their future, they worry for us too. They worry that they are being a burden. They worry that we are not caring for ourselves the way we should. They worry if they are the very reasons why we cannot make the trip to our favorite travel destination.

The kids see so many things through our eyes. Every move we make, we help them see what the future holds for them.

For example, if they have parents who are negative by nature, they see a bleak future ahead of them. What is in store for them in the future is really nothing to shout about. Nothing to get excited over. However, if they have parents who love the world and don't mind investing time and money in exploring new things, can you imagine the kind of future they can see that is waiting for them?

So, yes. Maybe it's time to get moving with the book again. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...