Skip to main content

Late Night Winging Episodes






I am reading a book (surprise, surprise) that reminded me about a time when I first started out as a writer. Boy oh boy, I'll spare you the gory details but I would like to reenact a scene here just to show you how tough it was. 


I call this one the Late Night Winging Episodes


*** ***
It's kinda a time for everyone to be deep in slumber, i.e. 2.30am but my Younger Son was jostled awake by the 'swinging arm leg' movement of Elder Son. Gord, he still has that syndrome. Sleeping with him is NOT RECOMMENDED and I pity his future wife. 


So, Younger Son sees me sitting there at the computer, feverishly typing out messages and articles for clients who call the other side of the world their home. They're on MSN and Yahoo Messenger, so, I was desperate. Sleep-deprivation...to hell with that. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! (insert wild chest-thumping here)


Younger Son would often tot over, up goes my shirt and he knows where to find the source of milk and I offer no more than a stroke on the cheek, a 'hey there, sweetums' and a gentle (distracted) hug because he lulls himself to sleep breastfeeding. 


That's the easy part. 


Elder Son is jostled awake with his own 'Swinging Leg Hand' syndrome and starts moaning about how uncomfortable (cold, because where'd all the body heat go?) it is in bed. So, he totters over too. It's almost 3.00am now and God, this client continues to message me on MSN, telling his dreams for his new internet business. 


Elder Son comes over and drapes himself over the outer side of my lap. I stretch my leg out in front of me (to stop him from rolling off) and rest my ankle on some boxes under the table so that it forms sort of a railing for the kids to hang on to. I guess that's where the knee problem came from. 


With both my kids draped over my outstretched legs, I continue to work till I could work no longer because I was desperate for work, for money, for the chance to prove that I wasn't useless. I could do this. 


When I finally decide to go to bed, after hauling one son after the other, it's 5am, almost time to wake up. The next morning, you look like HELL....no, a zombie with a second death sentence. 


*** ***


To those who want to be a freelance writer-cum-mommy-and-everything-else: This is what you may have to go through, I warned you. So, reach out for help when you can because if you don't, well, you can make it, but you are gonna have to wing it a lot.


Thanks, partly, to those mindless, endless nights of inhumane workaholism, I know what I am now. I know my priorities and in time, you will know yours too. But in the meantime, just wing it.


To those who can't stand me but reads this blog, anyway: Well, you know what? I've been through all of that and you have the cheek to think that I care about what you think? I can kick your ass. :-)

Comments

shanaz@RS said…
Aww what a great advice! Wing it eh? I enjoyed reading this post as you allowed us to take a sneak peek into the early experience for you as a freelance writer. The winging episode with your kids were so endearing.

Anyways,I'm happy that you're one ass-kicking freelance writer queen now!

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe