Skip to main content

Stare At Me. Remember This Face

This boy of about seven-years of age was hobbling along slowly. One crooked leg after another, slowly inching his way past the checkout counter. He had to bent to flip one leg in front, and then bed and flip the other leg in front. And he had the contraption around both his arms but and it probably hurt a little to walk the way he did. But it can't hurt more than the stares that people were giving him. He walks alone headed towards the exit. I don't know what it must feel like to have people gawp at you like that. Like you are not normal. Like you are a caged animal. I don't know how his mother's heart must break whenever he cries over why he isn't the way other seven-year-olds are. I don't know how he learns to contain his anger over his situation and why people stared so openly at him. And yet, he inched his way to the exit. Alone. The cashier stopped working altogether just to stare. One of them even walked closer to get a better look. It was his back that we could see now but I am curious about what was going on inside his young head. How does a seven-year-old deal with something like this? Is he strong enough? But that wasn't what I was concerned about. Why was he alone? I was done paying and told myself to walk past and not be a busybody. I walked past him and out the exit. Being me. Sigh.... I just couldn't help it, so I turned around and waited for him. He flip-flopped slowly and when he exited the door, his eyes finally met my gaze. I don't think he has ever had a grown-up stranger approach him and ask him things because when I asked him, 'How come you are alone?' he stared at me with his mouth hanging open. I can only imagine that the only form of communication he got from the general public was curious looks, sneaky glances and then the back of the heads of people who were pretending that they were not looking while he KNEW they were. I thought he didn't speak English but before I could say it in Cantonese, he stuttered, 'My mother.' Ahhh...so he came with his mother. There was a hint of a smile, I can't be sure, though, but I continued asking, 'Where is she?' 'She's driving, bringing the car around to here. Asked me to wait for her,' he said in his barely audible voice. I told him that it was good and that he should not try to go anywhere alone. He nods his head and I turn around. As I drove away, I saw that he was sitting quietly waiting for his mother to come get him. What if she didn't? What if something happened? How could his mother just let him walk alone, in that state, through a mall of staring people? I don't know the story behind it so, I am not in the position to judge. I stole one last look at my rear view mirror and hoped that he has every single ounce of strength to tell the world this:- 'Look at me now. Remember this face. I am no less than you are and one day, many years from now, when you think you are ahead, you might see this face again.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe