Skip to main content

Why Are You Doing This?

The kids are in this play area and I dump them there while I saunter around aimlessly in the shopping mall. Nothing captures my fancy because (my friends know this) I am not much of a shopper. Not that I am a careful shopper (only in a pub am I dangerous) but I don't like shopping for things simply because.... The only thing that can capture my fancy are books. So, I head to MPH and since I don't have membership with MPH (I have one with Popular instead), I grab one book, some wrapping paper (for my new books - they're going to be CLOTHED!!!) and off I went to sit down on a bench overlooking the....TRAFFIC. Ah well. Better than nothing. I sat there and read three pages before someone said, 'Excuse me, Miss. Do you have five minutes?' I looked up and went Aw, fug. Hit on by some marketeer, no doubt. 'No, Miss. I am not interested. I am very....er....busy,' I said waving my book around. The only people I will actually entertain when they walk up to me like this are people who are volunteering for charitable organizations. And lo and behold, she was. She flashed me her card, gave me her name, gave me her IC number, a book of pictures and verification documents and said in Mandarin, 'Miss, all we need from each person is one can of milk for these handicapped people. One can is RM30, that's all.' I look at my RM35.90 book...this book can feed some handicapped people for a month, eh? OK lah, OK lah...let me have a look lah!!! I did this begrudgingly and ended up berating myself for two seconds after that. She's a volunteer working to help others and here I am trying to give her crap. Fine. I flipped through the documents and even asked her for her IC. I may be big hearted but I don't take kindly to being conned. I want to know I am passing the money to the right people with the right frame of mind. Anyway, it matched. It's a habit coz I donate a bit whenever I can. I don't mind sacrificing a little for what means a lot to others. So, I don't know if you guys do this or if these people ever had people ask them but this is what I always ask BEFORE handing in the money, 'Why are you doing this?' She went, 'Huh? I am legitimate, Miss. I am not cheating you, I promise.' 'No, I mean, why are you doing....THIS.' She paused for a while and we had to decide on a language: her faltering English, my faltering Mandarin or a language we can BOTH speak, Cantonese. Bless Hong Kong TVB. 'When I was young, I was very disobedient. My parents told me not to drink too much Coca-Cola but I was very naughty, all my pocket money, I spent on Coca-Cola only. I can drink up to eight bottles of Coke everyday. I only completed Std Six and after that, because my family is poor, I have to come out to work. But at the age of eight, my liver failed. My parents had no money but with the help of relatives and most of my villagers' help, I managed to be treated in Penang. If not for them, I would not be here today. I am from Alor Setar but I am working in a restaurant in Jinjang today, I am nineteen. I continue to be on medication but I am OK most of the time. I always tell myself that if not for the help of others, I would not be here today. I can't do this very often so once a month, or twice a month, I help out. Others help me and it's my duty to help others now that I can, at least, work to fend for myself.' I sat there, listening, wondering if she was acting. The Coke thing is probably untrue because just from consuming Coke alone, one would not have liver failure. My guess is it's probably inborn or genetically inherited. Whatever it is, I held onto my money and listened. At the end of it all, I believed her. There were many others who have told me stories before and most of them went along the lines of 'my father's wish' or 'a relative is living in this facility' or 'it's near my home'. I don't think a lot of donors ask this type of question and it often disarms them. But this is one of the truest I've heard so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe