Skip to main content

Kaitlyn by Kevin Lewis - Book Review

Synopsis: The Wilson Family was torn apart the night little Christopher was almost killed.... Though the two-year-old survives the brutal attack by his drunken father, his older sister, Kaitlyn, is convinced it's all her fault. Christopher is taken into care and never returns to the family home on the notorious Roxford estate south of London. But the bond between the siblings remains strong, and as Kaitlyn gets older, she dreams of a new life away from the violence of the estate and her mother's dangerous addictions. But most of all, she dreams of being reunited with her little brother. Will Kaitlyn's dreams ever come true? And if they do, could they really turn into a nightmore? Kaitlyn is the heart-rending story of a family ripped apart by tragedy and reunited by a twist of fate that threatens to destroy all their lives - and of a girl who has to choose between everything she has worked for, and the only family she has ever known. Marsha's Rating: 99.9957% good
*** *** ***
This book turns out to be such a page-turner! Didn't think much about it or of it when I bought it...it was on sale, you see. :-) And there's something about the name and the picture of the girl on the cover that didn't represent anything exciting. But what compelled me to buy this book is because of the synopsis at the back of the book. The author walks you through the years of torture, self-blame of a little girl who could have done much more to prevent a brutal attack on her little brother. She grew up watching her mother's addicition to an endless number of drugs, discovers how easy it is to make money so that she can put food on the table and feed her mom the drugs she needs and then build an empire so big that she completely lost control of her initial dream. Through the middle of the story, the main concern of ever being reunited with Christopher, her little brother, becomes lost. The reason for the inborn need for violence when Christopher was growing up was never explained. The final outcome for his adoptive parents also remains open. Certain parts of the book becomes so real (and gory) that I had to skip the details. Very brutal and gruesome at some points too. But the writer, I have a feeling, must have written it like a screenplay first THEN edited it into a book because as I am reading it, it rolls out very much like a movie in itself. The author had me rooting for Kaitlyn in the beginning, then slowly I gawked at the way she discovered money-making deals, then gasped when she comes up with her very own 'marketing plan' and then want to strangle her for being heartless. Throughout, we'd be reeling in between feeling pity for her little girl in her and then throwing boulders at her for letting things stray. My biggest complaint for the book is the end: What kind fooking ending is that??? Did he? Is he going to? What next? I hate it when an author leaves things hanging. Topic: family, separation, adoption, drug abuse, drug trafficking, tragic life options, poor family background, child abuse. (You get the picture). Awesome book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe