Skip to main content

Ding Dong Bell, Writer's Hokkien version and Christmas MeMe

Writing to catch up with the Christmas holiday has been crazy. People have holiday, I have catastrophe in my hands. The good news is that I got myself some Christmas presents....three books! One from Janet Evanovich, of the Stephanie Plum fame because I missed Hard Eight from her Plum Series. Second book is Up All Night by the most gorgeous Chic Lit author I know, Carmen Reid. And the third book is something more sombre...For One More Day of the Tuesdays With Morrie fame, Mitch Albom. So, what am I going to be doing this Christmas? READ!!! Yippppeeeee!!!! And to commerate the celebrative and festive mood, here's a Hokkien song for you....sing to the tune of Ding Dong Bell (the kids' song) in part-Hokkien, part-English. ding dong bieow (must I translate this?) sia kar wa ai siow (write until go crazy) kui tiam mm cai liao (what time I dunno) wa pian ding dong bieow (I become ding dong bell) (wa) ai ki holiday (wanna go holiday) kee Hong Kong Causeway Bay (go HK causeway bay) ae sai luan chu bae...tngui lai ka lai pay (can simply buy , come back only pay) bo chap teng ar tae, (doesn't matter long or short) don't care what you say (self explanatory?) wa ai ho....li....day...... (I want holiday) YEAY!!! DING DONG BELL ORIGINAL VERSION Ding dong bell Pussy's in the well Who put her in? Little Johnny Flynn Who pulled her out? Little Tommy Stout What a naughty boy was that Try to drown poor Pussycat, Who ne'er did any harm But killed all the mice In the Farmer's barn lyrics to original rhyme found here http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ding_dong_bell.htm Then there's the Christmas MeMe.

Hopped around a bit….it’s a Saturday, give me a break, ok? Nobody (well, not a lot of sane people) work on Saturdays. So, I was browsing through the web and went to http://www.scribblesnscraps.com/blog/ which is an interesting blog of a freelance writer with 5 kids living a practically sane life (envious!). She did a Christmas meme and since no one meme-ed me because everyone knows my life is (was) a whirlwind and don’t have time for frivolities such as memes, I am going to turn around and do a meme.

What types of things do you normally or are you going to put into stockings this year?

Where I come from, we don’t usually do the stockings things. We don’t have chimneys and telling the kids about Santa usually involves a lot of….er….TRUTH. like, that’s your uncle there with three cushions in his clothes, lots of mommy’s facial cotton on his face. So, stockings are just stuff we see in videos. There’s no snow, so, why pretend?

Do you put a cash cap on a gift? For instance, they probably want that $200 camera, but would you actually purchase an item like that for your child? Or lets say it is some remote control thingy that a child really wants - do you spend the $70 or $80 the thing costs? What is your cap?

I wish I could say I didn’t but usually, I have a cap on the price of the Christmas gifts but it applies to gifts given to other people’s children. For my kids, I have a cap too but it’s a lot more flexible. The cap for other people’s children is set about RM50 (USD$15) while my own kids’ cap is RM200 (USD$60). I know, el-cheapo me, right? But did I tell you that we’re not Christians….we don’t celebrate Halloween but we do, anyway. So, that’s a lot already, don’t you think? And by Malaysian standards, some people might even consider that splurging.

Does Santa wrap his gifts?

Santa used to wrap the gifts but now Santa is too lazy, overweight and too environmentally-friendly these days. Wrapping presents means killing and chopping more trees. So, this sad-ass Santa thinks that wrapping presents is a waste of time and money.

What do you do with all of those handmade ornaments our precious children come home with?

I love all the things my kids make for Christmas at art class but usually, they’re so pristine and…and…breakable that they don’t usually survive the car ride home. But the ones that does survive, they’re treasured a whole lot.

Do you open any gifts on Christmas eve and if so, are they different every year or the same “type” of thing each year?

I wish we had the patience to wait till Christmas Eve but no, we usually can’t wait that long! And yes, they usually get the same type of presents every year…which are toys.

Are you finished with all of your shopping yet?

Damn it! It’s Saturday today and Christmas is Monday and NO, I am sssooooo not done with my Christmas shopping yet!

Comments

Kenny Mah said…
I loved so hard reading your Hokkien Ding Dong Bell I nearly snorted coffee out of my nostrils... aiyoyo, since when is reading your blog a health hazard? Hehe.

Well done! Merry Xmas! :D
Anonymous said…
pua ha ha ha ha!!! I love your Hokkien song!

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe