Skip to main content

Advice from a shy-shy super mom…time issues

Over the years, I have been granted the honorable title of Super Mom because of the ability to multitask and manage a career as a freelance writer and also full-time mother. I’ve never taken the award before, so, I shy-shy accept it now and share some stuff with you to help you manage the stress level better.

1. If you have to get ready clothes for the kids the next morning, make sure they’re ready and prepared a couple of days in advance. When the maid comes over, I get her to get everything prepared a few days in advance so that at night, all I do is drag the clothes out and put it over the chair for the next morning.

2. Make lunch or tea or snacks the night before and then leave it in the fridge. Come time to go to school, pull it out and heat it up.

3. Have a specific place for all important school stuff. Everytime done using it, make sure leave it at that place and no place else! otherwise everyone ends up tearing through the house looking for missing book or whatever.

4. Always have a checklist. I am BIG on checklists, believe it or not. I have multiple checklists on my PDA and then several others pasted all over the house to remind me of things.

5. Do things well before time….rushing causes uninmaginable stress unhealthy to BOTH you and the kids. If I am in the back-kitchen, I would start cutting up vegetables for the dinner even if it’s in the middle of the afternoon. Make use of every single spare second you have during the day to make sure you’re not rushed.

6. Get up 20 or 30 minutes earlier than you have to. Just to run through the day’s events. I do this with my PDA the night before and in the morning.

7. Give the kids their own set of to-do lists. Go through everything with them so that they know that this is their responsibility and if something goes wrong, it is their responsibility to right the wrong. Not you. If cannot be corrected, then they have to bear the consequences. Hey, that’s life, man! Your mother is not always there to cover your ass, rite or not?

8. Give the kids warning before an event. Like if it’s dinner time and the kids just got back from school, I would holler, “OK, I am going to give you 5 minutes to get ready for dinner. You know what to do!”

9. Use a timer. I use a timer for everything (sad, isn’t it?). In this case, it’s my handphone. So, if I tell the kids that they have to do their homework in 15 minutes, I set the timer and I inform them that this is their free time and they can do whatever they want to do now before the handphone goes off. No, seriously. And it works because they stop dilly-dallying and start picking the choice of activity immediately. If they want to spend that time lying on the bed doing nothing, then I let them.

10. Have time for yourself. I barely survived this rigorously tiring schedule with the kids and work over the years and I had no support. But after a recent incident and the stress problem and blood pressure, I have incorporated something new. Which is time for myself. I should be as strict on the ME TIME as with all the other schedule stuff. In fact, officially, I clock out at around 9.30pm. Which is good cause by then, my Wah-Lai-Toi show start liao and I sit around on my little beanbag watching a show and shutting out work issues. Whatever the problem is, this Super Mom is off work.

Comments

Anonymous said…
**pants, pants**

I don't 3/4 of the list here and I still feel tired. How do you do it? I lift my hat off to you.

I have to go and rest now, too tired after reading your list. :P

Popular posts from this blog

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...