Skip to main content

Cooking Diaries: Pickles and Classics


Munching on some healthy veg, including braised and pickled ones, has become not just my favorite thing to do, but it's also a part of my survival. Above, that's me munching on crunchy leftover lotus root.  I tried out the pickling thing because I needed to learn ways to make use of leftover stuff, be it onions or cabbage, Sometimes, I don't need to use the whole thing. The endeavors are not yet success stories, so I will share when I can boast with a tiny, little, smidgen of pride. 


That was a horrible picture  of the Bak Kut Teh I made the day before...BUT...it was yummy. 😁😁😁 I mean, it's hard to go wrong with a clean-pop-cook recipe. Made a trip to our local butcher and got ourselves about 800g of pork ribs and couldn't resist.

Have been making Western stuff like Cream of Mushroom Soup, Air-Fried Chicken, Carrot and Pumpkin Soup etc, hence the understandable yearn for a Chinese Classic dish. PLUS it is simple and not time-consuming.

Yeah, that's my time-tested slow cooker being used for that. 

bottled deep fried shallots

I bought this bottled deep fried shallots in oil from the store for RM12.50 (USD2.97 atp) and the we love it! However, it's not something complicated, you know, so why am I paying for something so simple and basic? The moment I get it, we slather it onto everything and we run out 2 days later. I just need to learn the basics and we should be good?

When it comes to cooking, deep frying is one of my biggest weaknesses. I don't know how to control oil temperature very well. BUT I AM WILLING TO TRY IT if we love it so much! LOL! I still hate oil splatter scares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...