Skip to main content

Internet Connectivity in the Age of Covid-19

Source: Bella The Brave on Unsplash
In living the life of a Covid-19 Lockdown, it seems that the Internet is now not just a luxury. It's almost a necessity.

53% of Americans Say the Internet Has Been Essential During the COVID-19 Outbreak and a large number of people from the lower-income group are worried about the digital divide and digital homework gap. Whatever 'homework gap' means.

We're now talking, working, doing homework, learning, watching, looking for references, read the news, shop, compare prices (...) all completely online.

Honestly, I can't imagine life without it right now.

I'll admit this much. Before this, I tune out of the internet. There are deep, dark moments when I feel like slamming my head onto my keyboard really hard and just chucking my smartphone out of the window,

Instead, I settle for merely silencing it or just putting it out of sight. For some peace of mind, you know.

This has earned me the ire of my family members who suddenly can't reach me or my clients or co-workers who started wondering, 'What's up her @zz?'.

With electric and water companies threatening to cut us off from the civilized world, I sometimes wonder if it is ethical at all, considering the situation we are all in right now, to cut off our internet access. Even if someone was unable to fork out their monthly payments.

Correct me if I am wrong. This is just rolling out as I am thinking it.

If landlords have shown mercy about rentals, what are those big tech firms doing cutting off internet access for people who are, say, staying in remote areas? They depend on the internet to connect them to essential services, government offices, family members, neighbors, friends, or their work places?

People now depend on internet access to find or keep their work and students need mobile data to complete their homework or join their compulsory Zoom online classes. Everything from reporting to submission of assignments have now been shifted online.

Don't you think there should be some form of shift in our perception towards the importance and usefulness of the internet to those who are secluded and need connectivity the most?

It's no longer just a luxury, it's a necessity.

And I suppose, that is why the Alliance for Affordable Internet was set up.

It recognizes that half of the world's population, while under the same threat of contracting a deadline virus, does not have internet access. While food, water, shelter, clothing, and a safe refuge tops the list of 'important things to have during a pandemic', I think we should not ignore the fact that without internet access, these communities will be largely disadvantaged.

The group is still reaching out and forming alliances in many other countries and has zeroed in on these countries.



In the meantime, thank goodness, for now, I still have the Internet and have been blazing the trails with Zoom calls, meetings, and phone calls. It's been fun, in all honesty.

Since I am often video-bombed by my kids going in and out of their rooms to the bathroom, to the kitchen, to the balcony, to the sofa, or just plain going in and out for water or some other reason, I decided to stop my call and join them (him, in this case), just for the heck of it.



Take care, stay safe, and be happy,
XOXO,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe