Skip to main content

Up All Night by Carmen Reid - Book Review

Category:Books
Genre: Romance
Author:Carmen Reid
I love Carmen Reid. I just do, don’t ask me why. But this latest offering is actually a little more than disappointing to me. As with her first novel, Three in a Bed, Carmen Reid wrote with pizzazz about being a mother, giving birth, being a career woman. She hit all the right notes with stuff so real it’ll leave you in stitches…for all the wrong reasons. Why would anyone laugh at crapping on the floor while giving birth, you tell me?! But this is something not a lot of people talk about but happens, you know. Up All Night is about Jo, who is an overworked journalist in a weekly newspaper, fighting in the dog-eat-dog world for the same news with a fanatical bunch of idiots who are ready to lose their lives over a piece of news or a snapshot of their victims. Bella Browning, the original character in ‘Three in a Bed’ makes appearances here and there as a confidante, as the prim and proper and perfect friend who knew everything there is to know on earth with not a piece of clothing out of place. Jo, on the other hand, is everything Bella is not. Suggestively, the preview at the back of the book said that she had a relationship with a chef years younger than her and he was, like….potential partner and stuff. The sex scenes can be counted on two or three fingers. Nothing to exciting….mildly so. And the chemistry between the two people were so warm it’s almost chilling. I don’t know! The storyline is fine but it’s more journalistic or political than I would expect from her. This is, perhaps, Carmen Reid’s way to bringing writing about her experience as a journalist. Once a journalist, forever a journalist, they say….or was it for something else. Ah heck, who cares. Very little was mentioned about Jo’s ex-husband, Simon and the same goes for Jo’s kids, Mel and Nettie. So, in conclusion, this isn’t chick lit at all. It’s a book about being a journalist with very few romantic scenes in it….. But let’s give her the credit for this. The ending. Surprising move and unexpected except towards the middle. After all that hoopla about the chef and their sex life and suddenly, out of the blue, from a dark corner out of the plot.....someone from her life is SUDDENLY crème on the cake.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's been a long time since I picked up a book that is not a horror fiction or sci-fi, hehe, hapi new year girl :D
Marsha Maung said…
firehorse, kopisoh, I also had a tough time trying to find the time to read these days. and I was a fan of sci-fi, murder, mystery type of books but got an overdose of that and picked up a chit lit for a change. I usually go between romance/chic lit/sci-fi/action-fiction/self-help.....eh, that covers just about everything except auto-biography which I loathe, unfortunately. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frighte...

A Liberating Activity - Guess What Mine Is....

When asked what’s my one single favorite thing to do in the world, I would usually name a whole list of things that I love to do when my work is not screaming at me. Something that takes my mind COMPLETELY off of everyday tasks and relaxes me. Take a guess what it is…. If you say ‘ reading ’, yes, I love reading (especially soppy love stories with lots of sex scenes, please. Hee hee hee ….) and I also love mystery novels but it’s not the first on the list. If you say ‘ playing the piano ’; yes, I love playing the piano. Creating forms a huge part of my life and whenever I play the piano (as inept at it as I am), there’s this tiny little girl inside of me jumping up and down with glee, clapping her hands. It’s my childhood dream to be able to play the piano! And thumping on the keys gives me a sense of satisfaction when I hear the music. If you say ‘ writing ’; You’ve got to be kidding me! You mean I don’t write enough as it is? Case closed. If you say ‘ playing with my kids ’; Yea...

When will Mariah stop flashing her boobs????

Mariah used to be my favourite singer of all time because she's got this amazing gift in the form of a voice that can go ANYWHERE but why oh why is she so obssessed with flashing those enormous peaks of hers everywhere...and why is it that all her songs contain sexual innuendos....touch my body is one of them. I mean, I love the song, I love the tune, I love the beat but PLEASE , Mariah, PLEASE .....why can't you be decent for once? I clicked to watch because I like the song and spent a couple of minutes crossing my fingers that she won't be flashing anything (FAT CHANCE!) in the video. But nope....no such luck. In fact, with a song like that, she goes even further over the top. Where got people answer the door in this type of clothing wan?? Is she for real??? I mean, in this video, she calls a technician up to fix her computer and she answers the foor LIKE THAT ??? Aish.... But the video was entertaining in a sense because the lam-chue-kok (male lead) is this geeky,...