Skip to main content

The Nasi Lemak Experience

If you’re a foreigner who has never been to Malaysia and you’re planning a trip here and wondering what is a classic Malaysian cuisine you should try, here’s one. Nasi Lemak. Let me take some time to explain what the Nasi Lemak is, ok? ‘Nasi’ means rice. ‘Lemak’ means fats. In essence, Nasi Lemak is a kind of rice that will make you fat! Ha ha ha ha! While the Nasi Lemak is named in one of the most unattractive and unappetizing way possible, it’s absolutely delicious. If you’re here in Malaysia for a bit and want to try something that you can’t go wrong with, go for Nasi Lemak….it’s a classic. The reason why Nasi Lemak is called precisely that is that the rice is fragrantly cooked with pandan leaves and the curry (yes, it can get bloody spicy) is cooked in POTS and POTS of coconut milk.

Fattening? Yeah….a little. But it’s worth the extra inches on the butt.

For some reason, Malaysians like to eat Nasi Lemak a lot especially for breakfast. You can get Nasi Lemak, the small ones packed tight inside some leaves and brown paper on the roadside on the way to work or something. They even sell Nasi Lemak in 7-11 these days, you know. All the convenience stores also carry them for office workers who are in a hurry. Don’t expect a lot from the roadside Nasi Lemaks because inside, you’ll find a spoonful of rice with some fried anchovies, some nuts and sambal (yummy, fragrant and sweet chili paste).

While Nasi Lemak is part of the Malaysian staple diet, there’s a lot the people selling it can do to improve their service. One morning, I was done fetching my two kids to school wee hours in the morning. On the way back, there are two stalls selling Nasi Lemak side by side. I approached the two stalls of nasi lemak sellers and picked the one nearer to me because….she was nearer to me. The Nasi Lemak was selling for RM1 per packet – I didn’t have any smaller notes with me so I handed the woman RM10 for change. The makcik (old woman) looked at me like I just handed her someone’s toe! “Takdak kecik ka, cik? Ini besar lah!” (Don’t have smaller change? This is too big a denomination). Look, if I had it, I would’ve handed it to you, bitch. Don’t want my business, is it?

The traffic was piling up behind me.

I answered her with wide eyes (and my eyes are big, ok?) “Tak mau ah? Bagi balik” (Don’t want? Give me back my money), I nodded towards her competitor sitting next stall and squinted at my RM1 in her hands. She grumbled a bit here and there and I can feel the drivers behind me were itching to blare their horns already. She finally fished out RM9 from her waist-bag and sheepishly handed me back my change without my Nasi Lemak. I did a palms-up, clucking her tongue she grabbed one, plonked it into a plastic bag and threw it into the passenger seat.

I wonder how these people act when there’s a foreigner buying from them. Surely a lot different, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe