Skip to main content

Wesak Day (2018) Update & Cooking

It's raining outside on this Wesak/Vesak day holiday and we felt (VERYYYYY) lazy to go out for lunch.

Anyway, I once read an article about how buying a whole chicken can save you a whole lot of money compared to if you buy chicken parts, i.e. chicken breasts, drumsticks, chicken chops (which I will continue to buy, unfortunately - too much hassle de-boning the thigh), fillet, etc.

And I wholeheartedly agree!


On most days, I would actually pop by the morning market after dropping the kids off at school and just get the 'chicken lady' to chop-chop-chop everything up and they're all good to go.

But there are days when I am in the middle of the mall and I need something simple like toothpaste or clothes softener, and there are air-chilled chicken looking back at me at the other side of the aisle in the supermarket.

Getting these whole chicken is cheaper than when you get them at the morning market. Which is stupid because people GO to the morning market assuming that things are cheaper there. Nope. Not so.

I got the above chicken for RM23 more or less, while the other day, I got half a chicken for RM18. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to math but...still..... 👀😂😀😦

I marinaded it overnight with:-

  • balsamic vinegar
  • A LOT OF minced garlic, like 6-8 cloves, I think. I know...don't judge. We love garlic! 
  • dried herbs
  • soy sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • oyster sauce
  • chicken seasoning
  • ground onion powder
and then popped it into the air-fryer/oven.


Anyway, the chicken is quite a big one so, I assumed that if there were any leftovers, I could shred them up and toss it in with some salad or pasta (depending on how much is leftover, right?) but...NOPE.

Nothing's left.

It's amazing how much growing teenagers can eat, really! And they said 'ONE chicken against TWO ravenous teenage boys, mom?! Not a chance'.

😂😂😂

I only ate 2 chicken wings (because they took the chicken legs, one each) and remnants of some chicken breasts. Poor mom. #momlife #heartlesschildren #hungeriseverything #sorrynotsorry

And...well, there goes my dinner plans (which was the salad or pasta mentioned earlier) and I've got to start all over again, or....hey, mamak!

Have an amazing Wesak Day ahead,
Lotsa love coming from rainy Malaysia!
=)
Marsha


Buddha stressed that the way to pay homage to him was not merely by offering flowers, incense, and lights, but by truly and sincerely striving to follow his teachings. This is how Buddhists are expected to celebrate Vesak: to use the opportunity to reiterate their determination to lead noble lives, to develop their minds, to practice loving-kindness and to bring peace and harmony to humanity
BONUS

You DO save a lot of money by buying the whole chicken instead of purchasing their parts. Have a look at the following video if you have no idea how to take the chicken apart. A few chicken later, you'll be a pro at dismantling it.

Trust me, this coming from someone who refused to touch chicken or fish or prawn or squid or anything because she felt sorry for the animal.

I can now dismember animals without making too much of a mess. Hey, we live, we learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe